AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I better off buying another HSU SFT2 for a dual set up or buying a single VTF3 and selling the STF2?

Another option is ditching the STF2 and buying a Mirage S12s since they are a great deal at $399. (maybe even 2 of these, but that's starting to get a bit pricy)

Any advice and opinions are greatly appreciated!

My main room consists of an open floorplan with living room (ie home theater), dining room, and kitchen all on the same floor.

LR - ~14' x 14'

DR - ~10' x 14'

Kitchen - ~10' x 14'

Equiment:

Pioneer 1014

3 NHT Super Ones up front

3 NHT Super Zeros in the rear

HSU STF-2 sub

InFocus 4805 PJ

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
You'll notice a big difference moving to a VTF3 or S12 in terms of deepness of bass. Well worth it. The STF2 doesn't reach very low so adding another one may not increase the quality of the bass, just quantity. Your room is large but for the most part, the VTF3 should be able to fill it

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I wasn't too sure about adding another STF2, but saw a lot of posts talking about dual subs and thought that could be an option.

So would the VTF3 be worth almost twice the price of the S12 given the free shipping on the S12?

Is it safe to say that the S12 is comparable to an STF3?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
Dual subs sometimes helps smooth out acoustical deficiencies (null and peaks in a room), and increases overall output, but it can't add what you don't have (depth of bass)

The only publicized report that compared the S12 to the STF3 was Tom Nousaine's in Sound and Vision Magazine. He compared the Energy 12.3 (twin model to the S12), and the Outlaw LFM-1 (close cousin to the STF3, designed by Hsu). The Energy's numbers were as good or better than the Outlaw's. So it's a pretty safe bet to say the S12 can match or beat the STF3. Tom rated both as having very clean sounding bass.

Now the VTF3 is a different story, it will beat out the S12 in terms of depth of bass, and for some that extra bit of oomph would be worth it, but the S12 does come very close while sounding excellent. Most people who have bought Mirage S10/S12 subs have said how good the Mirage sounds.

So in terms of bang for buck/quality of sound for buck, the Mirage at its $399 can't be beat IMO. And it's a great performer, so personally I would take the S12 over the VTF3 if price is an issue. Two S12's would be a nice little setup too :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.