AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've rolled my own IR extender, and it works. Works fine with an old JVC VCR CableEye emitter, though it can't blast everything by itself.

I was at Altex Electronics for something else and they had a bunch of Channel Master stuff. I picked up some IR-3002 dual emitters, but only one of the emitters will work, on each set. Seems a bit unlikely to have a whole set of half bad emitters ....

As near as I can tell, the emitters are wired in parallel, and from some googling around this is suboptimal since if one of them conducts a hair better, then they'll get all the juice and the other will do nothing.

Anyone had similar problems with channel master dual emitters?

I'm wondering what would be different from my setup versus the off the shelf IR hubs. As far as I can tell, they're described as just being a bunch of 1/8" mono jacks wired to the signal through a 470 ohm resistor ... that's pretty much how the distribution end of my setup works.

In case your curious my overall setup is essentially a new variation on the old 555 based IR extender. I've got an Atmel AVR ATtiny12 that replaces the 555, a Sharp GP1Ux IR detector goes active when it sees 38khz IR, and I'm driving my output signal via a transistor (for a bit more umph than the ATtiny12 can push) across some old cat3 to the IR hub end, which is functionally the same as far as I can tell to off the shelf stuff.

The ATtiny12 has a tiny bit of code I modified from someone else's AVR project, when it sees the IR detector activate, it sets up the timer to generate a 56khz signal and on each tick it toggles the output on or off (depending on current state) until the IR detector goes inactive.

Sorry for rambling a bit but anyways, I was hoping to use these dual emitters to reduce the number of outputs I had to build into my hub, and they were at hand and cheap. Any solutions or ideas ? I could just make my hub bigger and use a bunch of single emitters... but if I have to do that I might just order a bunch of raw IR LEDs from digikey and make my own uberblaster to flood the area instead.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioSehnsucht /forum/post/15568963

I'm wondering what would be different from my setup versus the off the shelf IR hubs. As far as I can tell, they're described as just being a bunch of 1/8" mono jacks wired to the signal through a 470 ohm resistor ... that's pretty much how the distribution end of my setup works.

If each of the dual emitters has it's own 470 ohm resistor, then both should light when a voltage is applied. If they share one 470 ohm resistor, then one will tend to hog the current as you noted.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh well, that's beyond my control without slicing and dicing these itty bitty wires and inlining resistors. They share a single 1/8 jack so therefore a single resistor.

Guess I'll be returning them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts