AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Both JTR and Reaction Audio are having April pre-sales on new subs at amazing prices. The new JTR Captivator is on sale for $1,599 ($3,198/pair) with free shipping on group buys of 4 or more. The Reaction Audio Gamma 218 is on sale for $1,599 ($3,249/pair) with free shipping. Assuming a group buy on the JTR before May 15th, that's only $51/pair difference between two fantastic subs.

Both subs are using the same ICE-power plate amp that consists of two 700 ASC/ASX amp modules; each module is rated 1% THD for 700w @ 4 ohms (10% THD at 800w @ 4 ohms). The RE 218 is using each 700w module on each of the dual 18" drivers. The JTR is using both 700w modules to drive each half of a dual voice coil in one 18" driver

Each RA Gamma 218 has two dual opposed 18" drivers in a 29" H x 20.5" W x 26" D sealed enclosure. The driver is 3" or 72mm total, and moror size isn't specified. Frequency response is 20-200 Hz

Each JTR Captivator 1400 has one 18" driver in a 30" H x 20" W x 22.5" D ported enclosure tuned to 17 Hz. The driver has 30mm Xmax and a motor strength of 256 (bl^2/re). Frequency response is 16-190 Hz +/-1db.

In a 10,000 cu ft room with cement floors and the subs placed 3-5 feet behind the main LP, which would create less problem for localization and be better for movies and LFE special effects for a "punch in the chest" experience?

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
JTR Captivator 1400s are $1599 each, not $1699 each.

RA Gamma 218 is going to be good, and offers tremendous value, but JTR's stuff are on a whole different echelon. Even people here wouldn't venture into the realm of Seaton/JTR/Funk unless they have a budget of $3000 plus. Therefore, if you are going to spend $3200, just get 2 JTR Captivator 1400s and don't look back.

Besides, your huge room DEMANDS 2 ported subs.

·
Registered
337 Posts

RA Gamma 218 is going to be good, and offer tremendous value, but JTR's stuff are on a whole different echelon. Even people here wouldn't venture into the realm of Seaton/JTR/Funk unless they have a budget of $3000 plus. Therefore, if you are going to spend $3200, just get 2 JTR Captivator 1400s and don't look back.

^ What he said ;)

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Another way to look at it is that JTR Cap 1400's price of $1599 each or $3198 a pair (assuming group buy free shipping) is only good till May 15. Cap 1400 is going to be $1999 each after that.

Reaction Audio's Gamma 218's price of $3249 a pair is the regular price until Jeremy raises the prices.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's what I was thinking, but $3k is a lot of green and I thought I'd just see what others think. There's a lot of people around here with experience in both dual 18's sealed like the JTR S2 and ported 18's like the JTR 2400 Captivator.

In my room with a concrete floor and 39' x 49' x 8-12' dimensions, there's not any room gain until 5 Hz way before either of these options runs out of steam. I do have a DTS-10 but that's about 18 feet from the LP across the room.

I can't hope for much below 15 Hz so I wanted to find what would provide the most impact for movies and tactile feel. Sooner or later I'm going to have to look at transducers and new seating, but for now I just want to get the most I can out of rear subs 3' - 5' from the LP.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
That's what I was thinking, but $3k is a lot of green and I thought I'd just see what others think. There's a lot of people around here with experience in both dual 18's sealed like the JTR S2 and ported 18's like the JTR 2400 Captivator.

In my room with a concrete floor and 39' x 49' x 8-12' dimensions, there's not any room gain until 5 Hz way before either of these options runs out of steam. I do have a DTS-10 but that's about 18 feet from the LP across the room.

I can't hope for much below 15 Hz so I wanted to find what would provide the most impact for movies and tactile feel. Sooner or later I'm going to have to look at transducers and new seating, but for now I just want to get the most I can out of rear subs 3' - 5' from the LP.
I have a very big room with a suspended floor and I have two PSA Triax's and they fill the room with sledge hammer bass!! I know the KC group have had many blind sub GTG's and the JTR Caps have always ranked at the top. I think you would be very impressed with them.

·
Registered
675 Posts

RA Gamma 218 is going to be good, and offer tremendous value, but JTR's stuff are on a whole different echelon. Even people here wouldn't venture into the realm of Seaton/JTR/Funk unless they have a budget of $3000 plus. Therefore, if you are going to spend $3200, just get 2 JTR Captivator 1400s and don't look back.

I'm not sure you can say that the JTR Captivator is on a whole different echelon. JTR is an established brand and we know that Jeff makes very high quality stuff that performs very well. We know what the Captivator brings and that it is a great sub given all the tremendous feedback on the forums. With that said, Reaction Audio is the new kid on the block. Let's give them a chance to prove themselves. I don't think you can make a statement like that with no Gamma 218's in the wild. They will both use virtually the same amplifier. The captivator will be a beast down around it's port tune. The 218 will handily beat the cap below 16HZ and should have an adavantage given two efficient sealed 18's vs a single ported 18" in some of the other octaves. I would reserve judgement until they can be compared properly. I really think the 218 will surprise a lot of people.

As I pretty much said on the Reaction thread, different strokes for different folks. Tactile bass feel and proven performer = cap. ULF sealed value king = 218. Depends on what you are going for. And from what I understand the 218 should have an advantage in the 40-80HZ range and that is where a ton of normal, everyday info resides. I don't think you can lose either way. And until they are properly compared at a GTG or on data-bass - all this is speculation. The best apples to apples comparison may be the Echo 18 vs the Cap 1400 anyway. Just buy one and know that your are getting a heck of a deal. Great choices to have!

Edit: Now that I have seen your room size, I see that it may be difficult to take advantage of room gain with any sealed subs. PLUS you are on concrete. This would make the decision more difficult. I'm still betting on the 218 surprising a ton of people. It will have more output than one would think.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
I don't think Jeremy would feel insulted when I say that JTR's stuffs are on a whole different echelon. In fact, I think he would be honored when people are comparing his Gamma 218s with JTR's offerings.

·
Registered
224 Posts
For that budget, get yourself 30+ Polk PSW10 and call it a day. :rolleyes:
I wonder how 30 Polk PSW10's would fare against dual Captivators. I have a feeling that even one Captivator would be able to handily beat 30 PSW10's :eek:

Would be a cool experiment if anyone has $3000 to blow (or has thick enough skin to return all of it)

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Gamma 18 seems like it's gonna be a great sub indeed. It's not my right to judge other sub if I haven't heard 1 or the other. But I can tell you this.. I have the Caps. They do pound, slam, pressurize, with tremendous output. And at the same time clean. But the downside of those Caps is they also break things around the house.. Seriously.. So just be careful with the Caps if you go that route.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
I don't think Jeremy would feel insulted when I say that JTR's stuffs are on a whole different echelon. In fact, I think he would be honored when people are comparing his Gamma 218s with JTR's offerings.
He would feel honored if they were comparable. Comparing and stating one is in a different echelon is belittling to the lesser.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
I have an epik empire. 15" dual opposed sealed. I have several ported single driver subs too. All things being equal, having 2 sealed drivers is much better than ported. Ported will act similarly to 2 drivers near the port tune, but not anywhere else. Sealed drivers will effectively double the output along the entire curve (At least until you max out the amps). Duals have a huge advantage below the port tune.

I'm not comparing the quality of Epik to any of the 2 subs, that would be foolish, just comparing the design types.

I'm sure both of those subs are awesome. You can't go wrong either way.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I think you would be happy with either sub. JTR has a track record that RA doesn't yet on its 18 inch subs. But the specs are there on the 218 and no reason why it shouldn't be a beast itself.
If you are thinking you may want to chase the 10Hz realm, then the sealed is the only way to go. Just be prepared to buy a lot more than 2 for that size of room to get 10Hz tactical.
If you want to boost in dB around the port tune, then of course the ported cap 1400.
Without seeing testing on each sub and just guessing, I would say if your priority's is movies, get the caps, if its music, then maybe get the 218. But I also think either would work great for either movies or music.
So pick the one that looks the best to you. :) They both will produce a butt load of bass.

NOTE: If there is free shipping on orders of 4 of more. Then just pull the plug and get 4 of the caps for that big room! $8000 + $600 shipping value of subs for $6400. So you would save over $2000.
Woman do that all the time. lol

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
As I pretty much said on the Reaction thread, different strokes for different folks. Tactile bass feel and proven performer = cap. ULF sealed value king = 218. Depends on what you are going for. And from what I understand the 218 should have an advantage in the 40-80HZ range and that is where a ton of normal, everyday info resides. I don't think you can lose either way. And until they are properly compared at a GTG or on data-bass - all this is speculation. The best apples to apples comparison may be the Echo 18 vs the Cap 1400 anyway. Just buy one and know that your are getting a heck of a deal. Great choices to have!
A driver will have the same efficiency as two drivers that are 3db less efficient.

Chucky I would wait to see their measurements before ranking them. Luckily both Jeremy and Jeff have plans for Josh to measure them, so we will have a good answer sometime this summer.
Imagine someone who has never ran before, lining up at the very front of a marathon race and when the race starts that person keeps up with world level runners for 100 yards and then has to stop. The point is that most people don't see the obvious flaw with CEA2010 testing which is the lack duration and makes it possible to cheat the test. For simplicity, an amplifier with high voltage rails but only a 100 watt power supply could possibly burst 10 times its normal power for the 1/30th of a second the average burst tone lasts however within a second the rail voltage sags because of the lack of the power supply and then return to its 100 watts of power output. Drivers can handle 10 times their rated power during a burst test as well. So, it is possible for a 100 watt amplifier with a 100 watt driver to burst the same output as a 1000 watt amplifier with 1000 watt driver even though the 1000 watt amplifier and 1000 watt driver can deliver 10db more output long term. Just food for thought.

I have an epik empire. 15" dual opposed sealed. I have several ported single driver subs too. All things being equal, having 2 sealed drivers is much better than ported. Ported will act similarly to 2 drivers near the port tune, but not anywhere else. Sealed drivers will effectively double the output along the entire curve (At least until you max out the amps). Duals have a huge advantage below the port tune.
I totally aggree with "All things being equal".

·
Registered
214 Posts
A driver will have the same efficiency as two drivers that are 3db less efficient.

Imagine someone who has never ran before, lining up at the very front of a marathon race and when the race starts that person keeps up with world level runners for 100 yards and then has to stop. The point is that most people don't see the obvious flaw with CEA2010 testing which is the lack duration and makes it possible to cheat the test. For simplicity, an amplifier with high voltage rails but only a 100 watt power supply could possibly burst 10 times its normal power for the 1/30th of a second the average burst tone lasts however within a second the rail voltage sags because of the lack of the power supply and then return to its 100 watts of power output. Drivers can handle 10 times their rated power during a burst test as well. So, it is possible for a 100 watt amplifier with a 100 watt driver to burst the same output as a 1000 watt amplifier with 1000 watt driver even though the 1000 watt amplifier and 1000 watt driver can deliver 10db more output long term. Just food for thought.

I totally aggree with "All things being equal".
So, are you saying that somehow RA will be "cheating the test?"

I would wait until testing is done on each. The JTR costs significantly more. It better perform better. IMO, if I had to upgrade, I think I would be going with a higher end sealed sub. Maybe in a few years, if the bug doesn't bite me by then.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts