AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend wanted a sub to go loud for music playback. Unfortunately he bought an SVS. Fortunately he told me while he could still return it =]

The ebay lab15s are a crazy bargain for this. $220 in subs and an NU6000DSP for this build. This is a bit of contrast here since lately people have been tuning low for HT.

Very easy build, step by step pictures in the sketchup attached. There's also a cutlist attached. Bracing not included in the cutlist. The build order is setup for assembly without having any issues with panel fitment. You can add some side to side cross bracing as well if it makes you feel better =]

This is modeled at 3000w which is pushing these drivers pretty hard. 26hz 4th order crossover keeps excursion in check.

SPL @ 3000w

Excursion @ 3000w with 26hz 4th order highpass

Port Velocity, touch high, but at these levels you'll have more issues than just some port compression. The nice flares should keep noise minimal.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
This thing absolutely pounds!!! Side by side with my SVS SB13-Ultra before I sent it back, it was no contest, this thing made it seem like a toy for music. And it's not all loudness, it's beautiful and accurate at low volumes as well. Blends seamlessly with my RTi12's, but if I ever want the power...man is the overhead there! I paid about $700 total including the subs, amp, wood, etc. -- saved me $850-900 sending back my SVS! I really appreciate nytt's help in building this. Definitely plan on building another when I get the house for it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Finished Product:

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
I'd forgotten about these. Seems like an awesome music sub, and I actually will be wanting to do a build like this eventually for the basement... Probably not for 6+ months though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Here's a few more pics (more to come..plan on doing a video as well.):

Something to note in the pic above, my friend who built it for me didn't understand the build order and put the top on before the front. It didn't cause any issues down the road but he had to glue it extra hard to make sure it sealed and it created that crease in the paint, but I plan on touching that up this summer.

and a rear picture in-case anyone's curious..

Some other things: I used Rustoleum for the MDF (although it's getting dirty already :(), Silicone Glue for gluing the ports to the MDF, PL Premium for the wood, ABS Plastic Cement for glueing the ports together, and Gasket tape from Parts Express for sealing the woofers (that was the only sealing issue I ended up having, easy fix.) 14.5" port length. (sorry for the mess! ;))

Reactions: notnyt

·
Registered
379 Posts
What a great looking sub. The performance of this unit is spectacular!
Many on this forum tune very low it is good to have a project come up now and then and show what can be done if you tune a little higher and give up a little of the very low frequency response.

Kinda curious why round ports instead of a slot?

·
Registered
12 Posts
What a great looking sub. The performance of this unit is spectacular!
Many on this forum tune very low it is good to have a project come up now and then and show what can be done if you tune a little higher and give up a little of the very low frequency response.

Kinda curious why round ports instead of a slot?
Thanks! Mainly for ease of build and ability to fine tune, but I'd like to do slotted next I think.

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice project and build!

That's tough to beat in the performance / $ ratio! Awesome!

Seriously.. I still have one of those 15s kicking around since I couldn't pass it up. Bought 2, one ended up in the garage... amp limited currently, since it's being fed off an NU1000DSP.

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
My JTR 215's each have 2 of the lab 15's in them. They can hit pretty hard for sure! beauty build!!

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
Seriously.. I still have one of those 15s kicking around since I couldn't pass it up. Bought 2, one ended up in the garage... amp limited currently, since it's being fed off an NU1000DSP.
You have my wheels turning with this one.

I might have to build one of these for my outdoor system. Sweet! :cool:

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
1 - 20 of 37 Posts