AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this topic has been asked in one form or another but I want to revisit it as AVS member's opinions and situation change (upgrades, downgrades, reviews)


I bought the Anti-mode 8033 and should be on its way to me. I have an Ed A7-350 on order but I am still toying with the idea of a DIY sub. However, time is something I lack right now so I am going back at reconsidering commercial subs.


Since then I have thought about two MFW-15s and maybe stepping up to the SVS ultra. Now since I went ahead and purchased the anti-mode 8033 that crimps my budget a little bit. I am looking at at minimum of the Ed A7-350 which is around 1k shipped.


The MFW-15's not sure if I can get a deal if I buy two. I will be calling them today but that is certainly getting close if not exceeding the SVS Ultra (if you count shipping)


Please let me know your thoughts regarding this..
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,571 Posts
Basically this *discussion* is preordained to follow a set path :


a) Dual MFW-15's won't quite match a single SVS Ultra-13 at frequencies below 20 Hz using a lower tune.


b) Dual MFW-15's (after been defeated by the Ultra-13 below 20 Hz) will kick it's ass above 20 Hz and provide more visceral, punchier and harder hitting bass in the vast majority of movies.


c) Dual MFW-15's aren't as good because, well, because 1 in every 20 aren't working because, well because of XYZ and the hum issues. . .oh the hum. . .


d) The Ultra isn't as good because well I'm not sure. . .oh yes, because Craig's friends chose dual MFW-15's over a single PB13-Ultra for subjective listening.


e) The A7-350 won't be discussed in this comparison because. . .


f) The A7-350 won't be discussed in this comparison just because.


I don't think I've left out anything here but perhaps someone can correct me if I'm wrong.


Regards,
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not sure what you mean why the A7-350 is not in the topic of discussion? From the price point alone and the specs. It should be right up there shouldn't it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,494 Posts
What about dual a7s-450 ? Will cost as much as 1 ultra and have as much audible output as a7-900 ( much more than ultra, more than mfw's ), while SQ will be as good as the rest.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
197 Posts
although i am a big fan of the a7s-450 ( i own 2 ) i'm pretty sure that two of them won't equal the output of one a7-900. No one really knows of the pair will outperform a single ultra13, but given the fact that there are 2 18" drivers vs. 1 13" ported, it would be a reasonable "guess" that the pair would come close.


according to "elockett" who has owned both the MFW15 and eD a7s-450, he thought it would take two mfw15 to better a single a7s-450. i don't know if he had ever heard the ultra13.


clearly, what is of great interest, is the new up coming a7-450. the old version was meant to outperform the ultra13 which it likely did. However, it was vulnerable to overdriving and damage. the new one with an underhung motor, should be a clear winner over the ultra13 at about the same cost. no info as to release date yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,494 Posts
two a7s will come close to one ultra? According to the owner of both they are pretty equal one on one, and if you look at craig's measurements, there isn't enough difference in output between a single mfw and ultra to fit another sub between them. Dual mfw-15 also match the a7-900 in the audible range according to his measurements (add 6 db to a single mfw numbers), so I'd expect a7s to actually go a bit higher than a7-900, in the audible range. In subsonic range it's hard to say if they can match it after the EQ is applied. All that only applies to stacked subs, of course.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,805 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goneten /forum/post/15563173


Basically this *discussion* is preordained to follow a set path :


a) Dual MFW-15's won't quite match a single SVS Ultra-13 at frequencies below 20 Hz using a lower tune.


b) Dual MFW-15's (after been defeated by the Ultra-13 below 20 Hz) will kick it's ass above 20 Hz and provide more visceral, punchier and harder hitting bass in the vast majority of movies.


c) Dual MFW-15's aren't as good because, well, because 1 in every 20 aren't working because, well because of XYZ and the hum issues. . .oh the hum. . .


d) The Ultra isn't as good because well I'm not sure. . .oh yes, because Craig's friends chose dual MFW-15's over a single PB13-Ultra for subjective listening.


e) The A7-350 won't be discussed in this comparison because. . .


f) The A7-350 won't be discussed in this comparison just because.


I don't think I've left out anything here but perhaps someone can correct me if I'm wrong.


Regards,

Spot on, and quite annoying I might add (after A & B). Though it looks like you've scared those posts away
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,571 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilGator /forum/post/0


Spot on, and quite annoying I might add (after A & B). Though it looks like you've scared those posts away

Sorry, I've been here a little while. You can blame my humor (what little I have) on Kal Rubinson who is probably the most humorless poster on these boards and that remains his funniest qualities.



Anyways, I think we need a sticky thread like mine and things will be fine. Depending on who reads it some may take offense to my comments on the A7-350. Seriously, is that sub ever the center of attention in these comparisons ?
No offense to those who own them, I'm sure it's a super sub.


PS I always find it funny when participating here (especially in threads like these) that the comparisons of three subs often turn into a 4-8 sub comparison ie A7-450 vs A7-900 vs MFW-15 vs SVS vs "DIY" vs Klipsch (*sigh*) vs dual or triple A7-350's vs A7-900 . Funny.


Regards,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
450 Posts
I don't mean to derail this, but why the 8033? It can only remove peaks...


Won't an auto-calibration feature like Audyssey take care of most obvious peaks - rendering the 8033 somewhat useless in most scenarios with modern receivers?


I don't know - just asking. Seems like the SMS-1 is in a similar price range, and allows far more calibration options depending on the room. At least as far as I have looked into them...


At any rate, assuming these sub choices are all somewhat similar in output (and I would consider them to be), then for me that takes the eD out of the mix due to its finish. I am mostly a movie person and the MFW has taught me to covet the subsonic performance, so I would actually be considering a PB-13 Ultra and no extra EQ.


Then, a couple months down the road - maybe grab REW and optionally pick up a BFD to mess with calibration if necessary.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,494 Posts
eD subs can be ordered in matte black finish now, so their appearance is as good as any, unless you must have wood veneers.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My understanding of the Audyssey feature is that it doesnt work well for Subs. Besides I have a Yamaha RX-V3800 so short of selling my receiver in favor of an Onkyo or Denon then the Audyssey is not an option for me.


With regards to the 8033, there has been several reviews of this product and while it isn't as good as the Behringer it is quite capable to stand up to the SMS-1. I did notice that the SMS-1 can be had for 399 now which is only 50 bucks more than the 8033 but the auto calibration feature of the SMS-1 lacks compared to the 8033.


Based on your response, you own a MFW-15 and you still want more of the low end output? Are you thinking of potentially getting another one?


Although this hasn't been proven as a fact, I have seen anecdotal references to the fact that the A7-350 will come close to the SVS Ultra.


Now given that I have paid about $1000 plus $350 for the eq, for a little more I thought about going to the Ultra with the nicer finish.


That is something I am still debating.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Noubourne /forum/post/15572409


I don't mean to derail this, but why the 8033? It can only remove peaks...


Won't an auto-calibration feature like Audyssey take care of most obvious peaks - rendering the 8033 somewhat useless in most scenarios with modern receivers?


I don't know - just asking. Seems like the SMS-1 is in a similar price range, and allows far more calibration options depending on the room. At least as far as I have looked into them...


At any rate, assuming these sub choices are all somewhat similar in output (and I would consider them to be), then for me that takes the eD out of the mix due to its finish. I am mostly a movie person and the MFW has taught me to covet the subsonic performance, so I would actually be considering a PB-13 Ultra and no extra EQ.


Then, a couple months down the road - maybe grab REW and optionally pick up a BFD to mess with calibration if necessary.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,494 Posts
eD sells their own EQ for $85 and considering how their subs and speakers are all priced lower than their performance would suggest, I bet it performs well enough.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top