Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've been experimenting with dual monitors, to put my projector on a seperate card. One question is how you can choose which monitor something like WinDVD will use?

TIA,

Nimlet

·
Registered
18,899 Posts
It depends on which card you have. With ATI's products you just drag the window over to the second monitor.

Nvidia has a "mirror" feature which snaps the overlay to the full screen second monitor. I wish ATI's drivers did this, but it works as it is, sort of.

I just noticed you said "dual cards". Is there anything preventing you from running a single card with dual-outputs? You'ld probably be much better off.

·
Registered
64 Posts
ATI's M9 (Radeon Mobility 9000) and M7 (Radeon Mobility 7500) cards using the latest drivers has a new feature, like nVidia, called Theater Mode under the Overlay section in Display Properties. Basically what it does is take any overlay image playing on the primary display (LCD usually) then display it in full screen on the secondary display; TV, Projector, CRT, etc. I've seen the feature work on Dell's Inpiron 8200 and Gateway's 600 laptops using the OEM WinDVD bundles that come with the systems.

·
Registered
18,899 Posts
Theater mode doesn't work. It's there mainly for TV output, locked at 800*600 on the second monitor. It looks terrible on the 8500.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I agree witht the crappy quality. ATI has a long ways to go before they catch up with nVidia for the quality of the cloned overlay, but nVidia is not that stellar in the first place. Last I tested I saw really bad diagonal jaggies during panning sequences along with what seemed like horizontal lines that seemed like an interlaced sample that didn't refresh the overlay correctly. I'd wait for a few more driver refreshes and at least email ATI about these issues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.