AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Initially this is what I would like to accomplish using an ATI Radion 8500, a CRT projector and an LCD monitor.

* On the CRT Projector I would like it to show full screen (not windowed) the video application that I may choose run. This might be TT, or DScaler or something else video related.

* On the LCD display, I would like to run the desktop with any other application that I might be interested in running. MP3 player, configuration, and oh yes, it would be nice if the controls for the full screen video application were on this as well.

* Eventually I would like to go to some kind of media server on this LCD screen and have touch controls as well.

Any ideas??

Terry

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hi Terry

I was asking the same question in the thread I started yesterday. I got some helpful information:
Quote:
Originally posted by MuratD
Hi

I have a Dell Optiplex GX 260 ( don't know the motherboard) which has a graphics card "built-in". I installed a 8500DV for HT purposes which works fine. The HTPC is connected to a samsung HLM DLP rear projector. Since I don't want to fire up the HLM everytime I want to listen to music I was thinking that I should run a second monitor through the internal graphics card. However, I don't know how to do it or if there are more smarter ways to connect two monitors.

ANy advise is welcome and sorry if this question is too basic.

M

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MD,

Yes I saw your thread. But I want to take it to the next level and have the video applications run full screen on my CRT and their controls run on the LCD monitor.

My preference would be to use the dual monitor outputs that are available on the ATI Radeon cards.

Terry

·
Registered
80 Posts
I do this with a Matrox g400 and its DVDMx feature.

This feature automaticly outputs a video window (of anysize) playing on the primary head full screen to secondary head. Its very convenient. However, the output to second head is fixed at 1024x768 16bit so make sure your secondary display can handle it.

I am not sure if the new Matrox Parhelia cards have more flexible dvdmax outputs.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hi Terry

your question is more precise, therefore I will abandon mine and follow the answers in your thread.

M

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
Terry,

I'm doing the same thing as you would like: CRT proj on primary monitor, normal CRT monitor (not LCD though )for desktop/ffdshow properties/etc running as secondary monitor.

I'm doing it with a AGP GeForce II mx400 and a PCI TNT2. It works well, but the downside is a fair performance hit. I plan to replace both cards with a radeon with a DVI-I output (use adapter to get 2nd VGA output), hopefully I won't get any performance hit this way.

Mark

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
Keep in mind that a single VGA card with a single GPU that has dual outputs may not be able to support hardware acceleted video overlay planes properly if using multiple monitors. This can cause the main system CPU to use more processing power than expected (DirectShow BLiT drawing instead of WDM kernel streaming).

·
Registered
214 Posts
Do you know if this is true of the Radeon 9700?

I'm trying to setup something similar with that.

I tried the two gfx card route with MultiMon but found the performance hit rather hard to swallow - need all the processing for ffdshow. The secondary does not have to show overlays etc, just windows & related app controls.

Ian

·
Registered
237 Posts
After a few minutes of screwing around with WinDVD Platinum and ZoomPlayer I managed to get a full screen DVD output to my RPTV on the secondary monitor. Using a generic ATI Radeon 9000 128MB dual head card.

For some reason I can't seem to register the right filters in Zoomplayer to output DD or DTS whereas WinDVD Platinum seems to play it just fine. The trial WinDVD Platinum wouldn't play the DVD on the secondary monitor, just a blank screen (overlay issues I guess). I don't care as Zoomplayer is way better as far as I'm concerned with interfaces.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have connected the DVI output of 8500DV to my DLP projector. Now how do I connect a second LCD monitor? Use an adapter for S-vid--->VGA?

M

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don't believe the 8500DV will support two vga monitors directly. If you want to output to a projector, you'd do what you're currently doing and have the projector as your main display device. Any other way, you'll have the LCD connected to your DVI connection for your main display and use the S-Video out to your DLP.

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
Does it do multi monitor with the S-video out? I thought they just tended to mimic the primary monitor, which may be what you want.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes, you can have an extended desktop between two displays, or you can have one desktop for both displays, with either composite or s-vid out. I just realized, I have the AIW 8500DV, which might differ some, but I think the regular 8500 can have duplicate or different displays with its S-vid out.

·
Registered
126 Posts
In my case connecting the DLp to the S-video output instead of the DVI that would make no sense, since the s-video has a lower video quality and is analog.

M

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is really getting off track from what I was hoping to get to with this thread. Again, want full screen video out of one video output, and controls and all the other computer tasks on the other.

I wonder if something like NetRemote might be the way to approach this?

Terry

·
Registered
237 Posts
Chuchuf, this is what I am getting at too.

I've extended my desktop to my second output which goes to my RPTV.

Now I'm using Zoomplayer in full screen mode on the second monitor and that seems to work good.

I am wondering if Zoomplayer can play the new WM9 stuff? Or can WM9 keep the controls on the main screen and output full screen to the extended desktop?

I also have an Accessdtv card and with the loopback cable on the second monitor it is "controllable" from the main screen but outputs full screen on the secondary. The only problem is AccessDTV software assumes that is your only screen and locks your cursor on it's control button!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Chuchuf

My setup consists of an AIW 8500DV with a DVI connection to a SONY HS10 widescreen lcd projector and an Svideo connection to a 29inch 4:3 TV. I run Windvd platinum, ATI TV (and WinDVBlive) in fullscreen mode and I use the TV as a clone of the primary (HS10) display in the THEATER mode which gives me a full screen display (WITH NO cursor no WinXP taskbars no menus) in my TV!!!! I think this is the only setup (clone mode, theater mode) that you can display video as an overlay IN TWO MONITORS!!!!

Now what you want (if I understand it correctly) is to use the second monitor for the controls of applications. I think that in your case you should select the extended display option choose your resolution (best for your secondary LCD monitor) and USE HYDRAVISION to create custom locations for the menus, programs etc. You can make other programs pop up in your lcd (secondary) display instead of the primary WHICH NOW IS THE only one to be able to show video. your ATI TV or ATI dvd will not be able to show in your second lcd monitor (BUT you can exchange them on the fly selecting the 1-2 tabs in the ATI display panel ). I saw that you have the plain 8500 card. In your case you CAN add a TV (as I) but this can only be a clone of either 1rst or 2nd display!!!!! If you choose it to be a clone of the 1rst display then you can have the theater mode enabled as I for full screen free menus video.

In your case you could also make the LCD display a clone of the primary one (although not sure about this ..) You can take a look at my thread...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=247144

·
Registered
126 Posts
Chufchuf

I tried out what Leonidas was suggesting in his post. It works fine. However, I found it way more comfortable just to stick a second video card (basic Radeon 7000 for $39, PCI) in to the computer and connect the LCD (which will show the menues only) to this card.

M

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Guy's, I'll give it a try.

Terry

·
Registered
405 Posts
MuratD

I would definetely like to know if YOUR second PCI RADEON card WORKS.... as according to ATI's database THE RADEON DRIVERS DONNOT SUPPORT A THIRD MONITOR (2 already with 8500dv in the case of Chuchuf)...

Maybe with AIW 8500 which has one (DVI or VGA) this is true BUT DID YOU TRY it???

ANYONE ELSE IN THE FORUM that has tried these setups???

1. AIW RADEONs (7500, 8500, 9500 etc) +PCI RADEON (ok only 7000-7500)??

2. Simple RADEON (NO TV, 7500 8500 9000 etc) +PCI RADEON???

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.