AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I built 2 dual opposed subs with the 18" dayton drivers. Sounds great. I am currently building a house with a dedicated theater and an AT screen. I was going to put the drivers facing towards the seats. However I could save a bit of room behind the screen if I turned the subs and had the drivers face the side walls. This would be similar to the new hometheater of the month this month. Are there advantages/disadvantages to doing it either way? It would basically save me 5" of room if i turned them sideways. The less sand I need to haul downstairs the better!

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
There is no reason why you couldn't put them side ways. It won't hurt the sound quality. There are a few forum members using dual opposed subs in this manner and I'm going to do the same. Art's theater uses 4 Seaton Sound Submersive subs across the front behind his screen. I don't have a link to pictures though, sorry.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!

·
Registered
183 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd  /t/1520919/dual-opposed-subs-behind-an-at-screen#post_24439505

You actually want the subs rotated so they don't ripple the AT screen.

How much clearance do AT screens need from speakers/subs to ensure no ripple?

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
You don't want ports or large drivers firing on the screen at all. I don't think it is a clearance issue,

so much as large drivers with large excursions, move large amounts of air.

Otherwise, 6" off the screen material for your mains, so they don't timbre shift.

·
Registered
5,785 Posts

You haven't indicated which Dayton driver you're looking at............I've enclosed a little info for you to look at with winisd sims between Dayton HO-18 and Dayton UM-18.  If you are patient, the UM-18 is definitely superior at low end frequencies...........

BTW, I had an S2 driver firing 4 inches away from my AT screen........no issues what-so-ever.  Ported cab into screen might be another story! 

Red is Dayton HO-18

Blue is Dayton UM-18

All four drivers were given 1200 watts and 4 cf each..............that's 4800 watts and 16 cf total.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow nice! I already have two boxes made with the 18" HO-4's. They are dual opposed and the box is around 7 cubic feet. I could potentially use the other ones in the next to subwoofers but would it be a bad idea to mix and match like that? Would 7cu feet boxes be fine for them? I am powering them with the LG 14k clone.

·
Registered
758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel 48  /t/1520919/dual-opposed-subs-behind-an-at-screen#post_24462795

Wow nice! I already have two boxes made with the 18" HO-4's. They are dual opposed and the box is around 7 cubic feet. I could potentially use the other ones in the next to subwoofers but would it be a bad idea to mix and match like that? Would 7cu feet boxes be fine for them? I am powering them with the LG 14k clone.

1) No problem with mixing and matching in this case.

2) 7 Cubic feet for 2 of the UM 18" drivers actually works fine (sealed, right?)

3) Sounds like you would have plenty of power

With my own modeling of these 2 drivers, seems like the RSS460HO-4 likes around 600-700 watts sealed, the UM 18" can take 1,000 watts no problem. The HO driver is more sensative, esp in the "higher" bass frequencies, but the UM driver takes more power and vastly outperforms in the low bass region, which is what you are really after anyway. By mixing and matching you should end up with a blend of both properties, should be quite nice.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes they are sealed boxes. Currently each box is wired for 8 ohms and then tied together for a 4 ohm load going into my amp on once channel. Is there a reason why mixing the two would not be a big deal with this system?

·
Registered
5,785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel 48  /t/1520919/dual-opposed-subs-behind-an-at-screen#post_24462958

Yes they are sealed boxes. Currently each box is wired for 8 ohms and then tied together for a 4 ohm load going into my amp on once channel. Is there a reason why mixing the two would not be a big deal with this system?

If you are NOT going to eq other than Audyssey........yes, don't mix and match. If you do plan to use some sort of eq..... Then no problem.

BTW, the LG clone is way too much for those drivers......not to mention reliability issues and warranty. For same price as clone, the Peavey ipr2 7500 would have been fine for the 4 drivers in 4 ohm load.

·
Registered
5,785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkest  /t/1520919/dual-opposed-subs-behind-an-at-screen#post_24462830

1) No problem with mixing and matching in this case.

2) 7 Cubic feet for 2 of the UM 18" drivers actually works fine (sealed, right?)

3) Sounds like you would have plenty of power

With my own modeling of these 2 drivers, seems like the RSS460HO-4 likes around 600-700 watts sealed, the UM 18" can take 1,000 watts no problem. The HO driver is more sensative, esp in the "higher" bass frequencies, but the UM driver takes more power and vastly outperforms in the low bass region, which is what you are really after anyway. By mixing and matching you should end up with a blend of both properties, should be quite nice.

Actually, the UM models so much better in a bigger box.........

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a mini-DSP but am not using it yet. I would potentially use that in combination with Audysse XT32. I am going on a year with the amp with no issues whatsoever. The plan was to use it to power all 8 sub drivers.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That is awesome!

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
Not surprised at all, that your screen is moving, as your center channel shelf and those doubled up sub boxes are creating a bottleneck.

·
Registered
27,143 Posts
I have 5 Seston sibmersives behind my screen. Hopefully my screen doesn't look like a sail on a windy day!

·
Registered
5,785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland  /t/1520919/dual-opposed-subs-behind-an-at-screen#post_24470297

I have 5 Seston sibmersives behind my screen. Hopefully my screen doesn't look like a sail on a windy day!

Bassobass has suggested on many occasions that stacked dual opposed 15'' drivers is the preferred method of digging low with least amount of THD and amp watt usage.  Very compelling data he has presented.  Two stacks of three dual opposed 15" cabs would be quite the view IMHO.  I suspect if your screen is tight as a drum, you'll be ok! 

I see no problem whatsoever..............and has been done by many.  Urban legend.......ie. subs in multiples behind screen moving cause  screen to move.

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,427 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts