AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 270 Posts

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The B&C 21sw152-4 drivers arrived this week, and the BB plywood will be delivered on Monday!

UPDATE:

·
Premium Member
3,830 Posts
Nice! Subbed here for sure.

Luke - How did you go about finding a supply house that will deliver BB? If you don't mind me asking, what's the going rate for a 5x5 or 4x8 sheet of 13 ply there? I've received a few quotes so far, but they wanted an arm and a leg being I was such low volume I assume.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83  /t/1475195/dual-othorn-build#post_23376784

Nice! Subbed here for sure.

Luke - How did you go about finding a supply house that will deliver BB? If you don't mind me asking, what's the going rate for a 5x5 or 4x8 sheet of 13 ply there? I've received a few quotes so far, but they wanted an arm and a leg being I was such low volume I assume.

It took a while to even find a supplier that had BB in something larger than 24"x30" pieces.

If you find BB in 4x8 sheets, it's cheaper stuff from China. BB imported from Russia is only made in 5x5 sheets according to all the suppliers around here. Not sure if that's true or not.

5x5 sheet of 13-ply 3/4": $72

5x5 sheet of 9-ply 1/2": 45

Shipping for any size order within 50 miles, only $22!!

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeamdman  /t/1475195/dual-othorn-build/0_100#post_23376964

It took a while to even find a supplier that had BB in something larger than 24"x30" pieces.

If you find BB in 4x8 sheets, it's cheaper stuff from China. BB imported from Russia is only made in 5x5 sheets according to all the suppliers around here. Not sure if that's true or not.

5x5 sheet of 13-ply 3/4": $72

5x5 sheet of 9-ply 1/2": 45

Shipping for any size order within 50 miles, only $22!!

i have used the cheaper stuff and the quality stuff both in 4x8 sheets.

my local Lowes orderd the good 13 ply stuff in 4x8 for me for under $70 a sheet.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrapladm  /t/1475195/dual-othorn-build#post_23378921

How high are you going to run the Othorns?

80-100hz.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Small...? That's funny because I was just thinking that seem not so big yesterday. These should be cake after building g horns.

I was testing this cab with the TC 5100 driver last night. I think you will enjoy them.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci  /t/1475195/dual-othorn-build#post_23431876

Small...? That's funny because I was just thinking that seem not so big yesterday. These should be cake after building g horns.

I was testing this cab with the TC 5100 driver last night. I think you will enjoy them.

Well, small compared to the Ghorns. Those things still shock me with their size when I walk into the room.

How'd the 5100 fair to the 21sw152?

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Well I am not entirely sure yet...The 21 is slightly more sensitive as expected. The respone shape on the 5100 looks good though and it seemed to reach about the same levels long term. I believe it might have a bit more burst output capability due to much greater excursion ability, but not much. The 21 still has more thermal power handling though...either is good. Unfortunately I didn't get the distortion tests done on it.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not quite sure the 5100 would be able to handle the clone amp delivering 4,000+ watts per driver like the B&C's will. I'll be putting a beating on these things.

·
Premium Member
3,830 Posts
How are these bad boys coming? I'm definitely interesting in building either two of these or G-horns at some point. I've found a local source for good, reasonably priced BB so I can begin to get more serious. I'm almost thinking it would be wise to keep some of my sealed 18s for the real low stuff and add in 2 of the O's to kill the mid-upper range.

How does one get a hold of the detailed plans?

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83  /t/1475195/dual-othorn-build#post_23436934

How are these bad boys coming? I'm definitely interesting in building either two of these or G-horns at some point. I've found a local source for good, reasonably priced BB so I can begin to get more serious. I'm almost thinking it would be wise to keep some of my sealed 18s for the real low stuff and add in 2 of the O's to kill the mid-upper range.

How does one get a hold of the detailed plans?

I'm enjoying the Ghorns so much I'm not in a big rush to complete these, but these are only a 1-2 week project once I really get going.

Send me a PM with your email and I'll send over the plans.

·
Premium Member
3,830 Posts
PM sent, thanks Luke and Ricci!

Luke - Are you simply using a circ saw/guide/rail to make the cuts? I assume these are held together with PL premium and pocket screws as well?

This combo is going to be realistically unbeatable in the entire low end range.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just for fun I thew this together based on Josh's measurements. Now, obviously room gain will throw these numbers around quite a bit, just realize this was only for fun:

The first is comparing the GH/OTH combo in comparison to my old quad sealed setup. The second is too see how far off it is from Notnyt's system.

Again, I know how many variables will change all this, but I was bored and thought it would be fun. The fun part for me is that compared to my old system, it's still a total of 4 drivers compared to 4 drivers, and 16kw of power compared to the same 16kw of power.

·
Registered
46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeamdman  /t/1475195/dual-othorn-build#post_23437754

Just for fun I thew this together based on Josh's measurements. Now, obviously room gain will throw these numbers around quite a bit, just realize this was only for fun:

The first is comparing the GH/OTH combo in comparison to my old quad sealed setup. The second is too see how far off it is from Notnyt's system.

Again, I know how many variables will change all this, but I was bored and thought it would be fun. The fun part for me is that compared to my old system, it's still a total of 4 drivers compared to 4 drivers, and 16kw of power compared to the same 16kw of power.

How about adding 4 Othorn's to the chart, I'd like to see that.

1 - 20 of 270 Posts