AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a budget sub (Lava lsp-12) out of which I'm trying to squeeze as much quality as possible. I saw a post here about a person plugging one of the ports resulting in improved FR.

I know not to expect much from a sub of this caliber, but is it true plugging one of the ports will result in an improvement? Is there any potential for damage to the amp or driver?

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketnis  /t/1521927/dual-ported-sub-damage-potential-in-plugging-one#post_24465045

is it true plugging one of the ports will result in an improvement? Is there any potential for damage to the amp or driver?
Plugging one port will lower the tuning of the sub, so it will play to a lower frequency. It also will double the velocity of the air in the port, which can result in chuffing noise, and it shifts the frequency of minimum driver excursion to a lower frequency, which under the right circumstances could result in driver damage.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. So if I keep an eye on excursion and I don't max the volume it should be fine?

I plugged both subs and they sound substantially better. I can never go back to the stock 40hz tuning.

·
Registered
9,684 Posts
I add an old Audio Source 15" sub that I ran with both ports (sort of plugged- a a pair of tube socks in each port) for years with no issues. Sub died during a move. Shipping damage.
It was a pretty nice sub for $200.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketnis  /t/1521927/dual-ported-sub-damage-potential-in-plugging-one#post_24499818

I can never go back to the stock 40hz tuning.
Anything with 40Hz tuning is a woofer, not a subwoofer.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No idea why Lava tuned the enclosure so high. Either way I have flat output to 29hz now and that's enough for me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts