AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my HTPC connected to two displays; A LCD monitor with VGA and a plasma with HDMI (or DVI/HDMI). The LCD functions as the primary display and plasma as secondary and extended. I use different resolutions. Vista 32-bit as OS and WindDVD 9 for movies.

When I want to watch a movie I drag WinDVD over to the plasma. I'm not, however, getting this to work when I have hardware acceleration turned on. I've tried my onboard ATI 3300, ATI 3450 and now ATI 4550 but with the exact same result. Movies are either shown with weird graphic or I just get a black screen. Hardware acceleration works fine if I only have the plasma enabled.

What's the cause of this? Vista related? WinDVD related? Or a graphic card issue? Does anyone know?

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Dragging to the plasma used to work with XP in overlay, RIGHT. Problem is that Vista does not support overlay (at least with ATI cards). Pretty sure you need to run 3D on the primary display or in clone mode. I think!!!!

BB

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbird999 /forum/post/15519559

Dragging to the plasma used to work with XP in overlay, RIGHT. Problem is that Vista does not support overlay (at least with ATI cards). Pretty sure you need to run 3D on the primary display or in clone mode. I think!!!!

BB

It's been a while since I tried this in XP and I've changed motherboard and graphic since then. But yes I believe evertyhing worked flawless in XP.

I tried clone mode with WinDVD and it works that way, so you right about that. I downloaded PowerDVD trial demo and hardware acceleration works with extended desktop with that program perfectly. So, I guess I can conclude then the problems lies with WinDVD 9. Or a combination of Vista and WinDVD 9. That's really too bad, because to me the SD quality looks better with WinDVD then PowerDVD (trial). So I wish I could stick to WinDVD.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts