AVS Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here a few pics of a dual screen theater I just finished up for a customer. This is the first time I've installed two screens and it worked out great. Please note that the customer has not installed grills for the main speakers or the subs. The while behind the center channel is insulation I placed in the cabinet. I did not do the room construction, just designed it, and sold and installed the components.

The speaker system is a Klipsch THX Ultra2. The projector is the Panasonic PT-AE4000u which as most of you know has a lens memory that allows you to position and focus on different formats/screens sizes and save it. It will automatically detect whether its a 2:35 sourced material or 16:9 and adjust accordingly. I placed a 115" fixed 2:35 screen and a 110" electric 16:9 screen. I first placed the 16:9 screen and made the correct lens settings, then placed a 2:40 sourced DVD in and placed the 2:35 screen to fit according to where the image was being projected. I did the screen placement in this order because although the projector has the ability to zoom and focus by memory, the vertical adjustment has to be done manually, so I wanted the screens placed in such a way that no vertical adjustment was necessary. Another nice feature of this projector is the vertical and horizontal masking. Since it was a 2:35 screen and most of the DVDs are 2:40 aspect, I made the image fit vertically, while the sides bled off a little. I then used the left and right side masking feature to black this out completely. Sorry, no screen shots. You will note that the 16:9 does not completely hide the 2:35 screen as it is slightly wider. This might be addressed with curtains behind the 16:9 screen if the customer chooses to, but it was not noticeable at all with the lights off. The projector is dialed into the 16:9 screen and not enough light reaches to the 2:35 screen to see it.

Just wanted to show a couple pics and make people aware of a simple dual format setup at a cost of less than an anamorphic lens/sled. Basically the cost of the additional screen is all that you incur and you don't have to mess with masking, anamorphic lenses, etc.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...1&d=1266884293

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...1&d=1266884503

1 - 1 of 1 Posts