AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, just finished my dual sealed TC-12 project. Two TC sounds TC-12 drivers, each in an ~2cf enclosure (net), with 2lbs. polyfill stuffing each. It was certainly a learning experience, and there are a few things I'd do differently now that I'm a bit wiser. It's a lot tougher than I thought to build something as simple as a box. Getting it all squared and getting the panels all to line up is a challenge, at least to a first timer like me.

Boxes were built out of 3/4" birch plywood, with MDF internal bracing as well as MDF panels attached to the inside of the birch panels. The front baffle is a double thickness of birch ply. The edges are lined with hemlock, since my Dad had scrap MDF and the hemlock; I only had to buy the 4X8 sheet of plywood. Here's a full parts list:

4X8 sheet of birch plywood

Hemlock trim

MDF for bracing

Spikes:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=240-715

Gasketing Tape:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=260-542

Binding posts:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...umber=091-1245

Home Depot 12 gauge speaker wire

Polyester fiberfill from some fabric store

T-nuts

Elmers wood glue

Minwax pre stain conditioner, stain, and poly coating

Finish: Sanded cabinets with 150 grit with a palm sander, then 220 grit by hand. Applied a coat of the pre stain conditioner as birch is a porous wood. Then two coats of natural stain, followed by 3 coats (400 grit sanding between coats) of clear semi-gloss poly coating. Overall, they look pretty good, but I discovered what a lousy sander I am, definitely an aquired skill. They sound MUCH better than my old subs, an Adire audio Rava and an Outlaw LFM-1. Those weren't bad subs, but I've definitely taken a big step up. The new subs go deeper (flat to 20 hz in room with output below that according to my SMS-1 and my room, which now has a lot of vibration), louder, and cleaner with more detail. In fact, my mains even seem more detailed, but that might be psychological. At any rate, it's obvious that the TC-12 is a great driver!

I'm attaching a few pics of the raw, assembled cabinets as well as the finished cabinets in their new home.

Next step: Getting GIK bass traps next week, looking forward to getting those set up. I also managed to strip one of the T nuts, so that will have to be fixed.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's a couple more pics of the finished subs:

[/URL] [/IMG]

[/URL] [/IMG]

The second pic you can see one of my sanding boo-boo's towards the back trying to get the panels to line up evenly.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
I really like it! Go have yourself a beer and relax this weekend watching your favorite movies with a lot more impact

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Very nice! I really wanted to buy one of those TC12s and do something like this. You have a couple of killer subs right there.

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
Nice work.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Very attractive subs!

I'm glad they surpass the performance of your last subs although i can't say its surprising

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
Nice job, they look really good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts