AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here have a PS4 with a projector? If so what is your experience of the dual shock 4 light shining onto the screen?

I have a PS3 and the move controller light really destroys black levels and decreases contrast when it shines onto the screen. I am worried that the PS4 dual shock 4 light will have a similar effect.

Unfortunately Sony have said that they do not plan to allow you to disable the light. I suppose the only option left for image black level lovers is black masking tape?

·
Registered
434 Posts
You should be able to dim it in a future update. But black tape always works or spring for the fancy vinyl stickers I've seen online with fancy logos that since through.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That good news (although a complete disable would be better than just a dim). I would still probably have to use masking tape to avoid deteriorating black levels.

Any PS4+projector owners that have been bothered by this?

·
Registered
725 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
For movies, doesn't bother me in the slightest. For games, it can be a factor but it is more novelty than annoyance to me.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Imagine shinging a blue LED flashlight on your screen. Basically that. You can set your controller to turn off after a few mins which will not interrupt Video playback. I played games with the controller under a blanket, dual purpose, all winter. Finally said enough and put black electrical tape over everything but the edges, now I just have blue/red/green/etc spots that dont give off that much light.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
why would anybody use black electrical tape ?

I mean, I know that they want to use the black color to block as much light as possible, but few things leave more sticky residue behind than black electrical tape. I've never peeled off electrical tape from something, and not had a sticky mess on my hands afterwards. Maybe the blue painters tape would be a better idea ?

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
The more I hear about this topic, the more I wonder if some DS4s are brighter than others. I know that mine was an absolute flashlight until I got some decals to soften the glow. I'm in a completely light controlled room, but it was overpowering. Many have said they don't notice it. Either those people are using their DS4 with the lights on, or theirs simply aren't as bright as ours.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1  /t/1526192/dual-shock-4-light-kills-projector-black-levels#post_24579369

I mean, I know that they want to use the black color to block as much light as possible, but few things leave more sticky residue behind than black electrical tape. I've never peeled off electrical tape from something, and not had a sticky mess on my hands afterwards. Maybe the blue painters tape would be a better idea ?

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Yes, but if you're on AVS, you have electrical tape. Painter's tape loses its stickiness after a while. I don't think that would be a good fix. I bought a package of round and rectangular decals in various sizes and cut one to fit the shape of the light. I can still use my controller for Playroom, but it's not a freakin' Maglite anymore. Since I have a game that uses the light, lessening the brightness rather than removing the light altogether was key.

·
Registered
16,530 Posts
I use blue painters tape and the camera is still able to see the controller in playroom.

Jason

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
2,737 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1  /t/1526192/dual-shock-4-light-kills-projector-black-levels#post_24579369

Why would I ever need to take it off?

Oh and Goo Gone.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtlots  /t/1526192/dual-shock-4-light-kills-projector-black-levels#post_24583379

I got the LightDims from Amazon to block most of the light. Thanks to the poster who initially recommended them! They work great and I found plenty of other uses for them such as covering overly bright lights on some of my A/V components.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009WSJNCW/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This is what I got as well. Worked perfectly after a minute with the scissors.

·
Registered
725 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by izakmarais  /t/1526192/dual-shock-4-light-kills-projector-black-levels#post_24581385

Thanks for the link. If you remove those vinyl decals I assume they do not leave any sticky residue? Also once you removed them, can you re-apply them?

Not sure, I havent taken it off.

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
Try having a high gain projector screen like the Da Lite High Power and using the Dual Shock. The ENTIRE screen goes blue, red etc. all 110" of it. @#[email protected]#$ hate it

I hate the dual shock. Hate it. Triggers suck, battery sucks. When will Sony learn?

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3  /t/1526192/dual-shock-4-light-kills-projector-black-levels#post_24587014

Try having a high gain projector screen like the Da Lite High Power and using the Dual Shock. The ENTIRE screen goes blue, red etc. all 110" of it. @#[email protected]#$ hate it

I hate the dual shock. Hate it. Triggers suck, battery sucks. When will Sony learn?

Same here, 110" Dalite OG High Powered 2.8.

I'm not sure what frustrates me more, the stupid LED in the controller or people on messageboards telling me (and others that complain of the LED) that there was nothing to complain about.

Triggers are fine and the battery life may be less than ideal but better than dealing with standard batteries. I do rotate controllers (one always on a charger), guess if I didn't do that I'd hate it more.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3  /t/1526192/dual-shock-4-light-kills-projector-black-levels#post_24587014

lol thanks for reminding me that we are all spoiled kids playing a video game system. Good to recalibrate and refocus on the important things.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts