AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
True true... don't want the walls exploding during Bass I Love You.

I would build using 3/4" MDF, maybe 1" if I go with a single layer, and triple up the baffle, 2x4 bracing, yada yada. Overbuilt of course.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
So, what kind of enclosure was decided upon?

I would go small-sealed when you have that much Xmax, BL and VAS to work with AND in a pair! :cool:

That is kind of what these drivers are about, maximum destruction in minimum space. I forget what but doesn’t SI spec 8 feet for these? Oh sorry the web site says 3 feet. I guess it would fit in that space less the driver displacement? Maybe? Typo? That is a heck of a deal though, just saw the sale price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
600 Posts
That is kind of what these drivers are about, maximum destruction in minimum space. I forget what but doesn’t SI spec 8 feet for these? Oh sorry the web site says 3 feet. I guess it would fit in that space less the driver displacement? Maybe? Typo? That is a heck of a deal though, just saw the sale price.

I believe I saw somewhere (either on site or maybe on here) that the driver could be mounted outside the box (inverted) to use a 3 cu ft box. Would rather use a bigger box, but hey, I guess it's possible...

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I believe I saw somewhere (either on site or maybe on here) that the driver could be mounted outside the box (inverted) to use a 3 cu ft box. Would rather use a bigger box, but hey, I guess it's possible...

I guess they’re saying put it in the smallest box you can and hope it doesn’t break it. Yeah box might have to be a smidge bigger to fit

·
Registered
52 Posts
Why not just line those corner areas in a couple layers of mdf and use the wall framing on the outside as bracing... Add more internal bracing as you can and give it a go. Would make great use of those cavities.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Why not just line those corner areas in a couple layers of mdf and use the wall framing on the outside as bracing... Add more internal bracing as you can and give it a go. Would make great use of those cavities.
Kind of what I was thinking. Otherwise I was just going to stuff those cavities with dense insulation for makeshift bass traps.

·
Registered
8,594 Posts
That is a deal! I am really considering ordering one of these myself, just for the fun of it.

Being able to cram one these into a small cube would be epic. I am more into stealth woofage these days, but that 24" would be something to behold in any room.

·
Registered
901 Posts
And your point is?
Apples to oranges. The damaged cone picture used a "demonstration" is not the cone used on our SHS. So my "point is" why use a weaker cone horn "example" in an SHS thread that you have no experience with? Your 'example' is a bad example as it is not the same cone body at all. Yes they are both based on paper pulp but that is where the similarities end. The thickness and strenghts of both cone bodies are massively different and should not be associated with each other as being the exact same.

·
Registered
901 Posts
simply because it was mentioned. Asking a question to who had suggested it to get an idea of the design process. The driver that was simulated, at least based on the SD, was the SHS24. Not being familiar with the driver prior to this thread I headed over and took a look. impressive looking driver and with your current sale, very attainable.
what are your thoughts on using this driver in a high compression design? do you think it would create issues with longevity over time?
We recommend sealed or ported alignments. Both of the latter are sub 30 ft^3 alignments. If you forum goers are after 30+ ft^3 boxes I officially refer you to the original HS-24 as it needed north of 16 ft^3 sealed or 25 ft^3+ ported. But this thread is about the SHS-24 (or at least it WAS) which only requires around 3 ft^3 sealed to reach a 0.707 alignment.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Apples to oranges. The damaged cone picture used a "demonstration" is not the cone used on our SHS. So my "point is" why use a weaker cone horn "example" in an SHS thread that you have no experience with? Your 'example' is a bad example as it is not the same cone body at all. Yes they are both based on paper pulp but that is where the similarities end. The thickness and strenghts of both cone bodies are massively different and should not be associated with each other as being the exact same.

Right, the cones are not the same, and I have no experience with your product, though I have hands on experience with the B&C loaded into Josh's Othorn. Happy?

Instead of feeling any view other than your own as a personal attack, why not tell us what you would rate the cone for clamped at the edge by the surround and weight applied at the neck? Will it withstand 500 pounds of force? Would you warranty the driver if used with a 7 to 1 compression ratio in a horn?

Coil and former for the SHS is 682g per your photograph, so with half the surround, dustcap and cone body plus some adhesive adds up to the other 402 grams. How much does your surround weigh? How much for the dustcap?

Or has this evolved or changed into a SHS Mk 2.012345^2 revision with some random specs?

A hundred sheets of standard 20 pound 8.5x11" paper weigh about 450 grams. +/-

The total moving mass of the B&C 21SW152-4 is 460g, with a short copper 6" coil ( 1.18" long ) and a smaller diameter cone body than your 24, so I really am in doubt that your cone is all that much heavier. It may be thicker if non-pressed.

Reactions: bebb

·
Registered
466 Posts
We recommend sealed or ported alignments. Both of the latter are sub 30 ft^3 alignments. If you forum goers are after 30+ ft^3 boxes I officially refer you to the original HS-24 as it needed north of 16 ft^3 sealed or 25 ft^3+ ported. But this thread is about the SHS-24 (or at least it WAS) which only requires around 3 ft^3 sealed to reach a 0.707 alignment.

So what do you recommend for a ported enclosure?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Nick, I'm also curious as to what your recommended non-sealed SHS enclosure is? Am I close in my modeling to ideal?

·
Registered
274 Posts
the thread is still very much about the shs-24. again looking at the specs of the driver, im intrigued. a large displacement driver, and as you've mentioned, perfectly at home in an enclosure basically smaller than its own displacement. that's something else. and again, with your current sale, attainable.
but you didn't answer my questions regarding high compression designs or longevity issues. I am not, and wasn't here to create some spat, I called bassthathz to the table over a presented design idea. somehow that became a thing. I lold.
you have a substantial driver, im not here to deter from that, you've stated the cone is 4x's more than a presented driver... would you warranty your $2k driver if used in a high compression design?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I bit the bullet and ordered up two Stereo Integrity SHS-24's with the sale that Nick is running (not sure who's crazier - Nick selling them at $1k off or me buying two, even at that sale price)!

I've used WinISD quite a bit, but because of the magnitude of this project, I was hoping to get some feedback from the group. By the way, I'm almost ready to begin (FINALLY) my dedicated theater room build log. Also have a huge pallet on the way from Erich with 3x dual woofer Titans for LCR, 8x HTM-10's for surrounds/wides and 6x Volt 10's for overheads. Going to be a busy Xmas!

Back to the SHS-24. I'm set on a LLT ported box with a tuning in the 13Hz range, but I modeled up 4 scenarios for comparison's sake:

1) SHS-24 w/ standard cone in a 30cf 13Hz box
2) SHS-24 w/ heavy cone in a 30cf 13Hz box
3) SHS-24 w/ standard cone in a 10cf sealed box
4) SHS-24 w/ heavy cone in a 10cf sealed box

Each of the ported boxes have a 5"x28" port with a length of 57.44", a 112Hz 1st port resonance and a 12Hz 4th order HP filter to control port velocity. All of them have a 6000w signal modeled (SpeakerPower SP2-12000). I plan to run these from the HP filter to about 40-50Hz where the Titans will take over, so I'm not worried about that relatively low 1st port resonance.

To my eyes, it appears #1 is the way to go. I only lose about 1/2db at the tune frequency and gain about 1.5db up higher near my LP frequency compared to #2 . As modeled, both ported boxes obliterate the sealed box models.

Thoughts?
Having 4 BHS24's myself, I say go with the heavy cones in sealed 10cft enclosures. You may not miss the extra output you get from the higher hz in a ported design as much as you will miss the single digits in a sealed design, once your ears are tuned to that ELF.

The other day a 4.4 earthquake hit 100 miles away in Tennessee, I was up and actually heard it. Not just the house shaking the way it does when I crank those huge single digits on SI's, but I actually heard the low dull numb hum. First thing I thought was, do I have the theater on!? A second later I realized it was a rare earthquake felt in the Atlanta suburbs area. Had I not been tuning my ears to 1-10hz I doubt I would've heard it, which gave me tiny head start to move 🏃*♂
Thanks Nick 🤘

·
Registered
290 Posts
Sorry jumping in here in the 4th quarter, but as I recal when I purchased my HS24s it was better to purchase HS multiples than two SHS, as the SHS was more optimiEd for the Pro/Live audio spectrum above 20hz and optimum in the 30-40s? I’m totally going off memory from a discussion with Nick, so I may be totally off.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
the thread is still very much about the shs-24. again looking at the specs of the driver, im intrigued. a large displacement driver, and as you've mentioned, perfectly at home in an enclosure basically smaller than its own displacement. that's something else. and again, with your current sale, attainable.
but you didn't answer my questions regarding high compression designs or longevity issues. I am not, and wasn't here to create some spat, I called bassthathz to the table over a presented design idea. somehow that became a thing. I lold.
you have a substantial driver, im not here to deter from that, you've stated the cone is 4x's more than a presented driver... would you warranty your $2k driver if used in a high compression design?

Likely an answer to this or the recommended ported box volume will never be reached by Electrodynamic.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts