AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to prewire my theater tomorrow that is new construction. It will have two rows of seats (one on a riser). I intended to wire a 7.1 setup. I has originally intended to put the side surround half-way between the rows of seats. I had another thought tonight that maybe I should pull wire for dual side surround speakers. They should produce the same channel (vs something like a 9.1 system).

Is this a good idea? I do not have any current equipment (AVR, etc) but would not want to be tied to super high end equipment by this decision. I have purchased Monoprice in-wall speakers for the existing 7 speakers. I know that I would have worry about the power output of the AVR as the Monoprice speakers are 8 ohms.

Any thoughts?

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,407 Posts
you need to be aware that there is great variance in what people believe is the appropriate method of managing the signal to the second set of surrounds.

First the facts, two speakers placed apart on the same wall playing the same signal will generate two overlapping radiating sound patterns that will result in peaks and nulls of particular frequencies. You will be able to hear the presence of the peaks and nulls if you move around in the theater.

So, some people say not a problem you are sitting still and you will hear mostly the speaker closest to you.

Some people say not a problem, you just delay the second set of surrounds by 10 milli seconds. (Dr Floyd Toole) You could do this with a $200 Behringer INuke amp.

Some people say not a problem you just buy a QSC sound processor and hire a room calibrator to set up your room properly ($3000-4000 equipment and fees)

there are other equipment and set-up options between these solutions.

·
Registered
5,785 Posts

Biggest issue is comb filtering..................size of room and other factors play a part in how two rows mix interact.  In my room, I have fairly tight dispersion due to using Triad Silver LCR's for surrounds and room is heavily treated.

If you walk between rows, there is a slight change in frequency between each row...........though most people don't watch movies standing in rows. 

I'll be using Trinnov processing come June..............ie. a fourth option.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts