AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning a home theater room and just started to think about subs.

The room is pretty small, ~14 x 17 x 7 and isn't enclosed but open to another area (bottom left of sketch):

My goal is to be able to hear/feel the bass/rumbling from any position on the sectional. My budget is $300. This will be for movies only. I'm no audiophile, just really want to be able to feel the room rumble from anywhere when I'm watching Lord of the Rings.

Would it be better to use two smaller subs (say 8"), or a single larger sub (say 12")?

And second question is, where to place the sub(s)?

Thanks!

·
Registered
720 Posts
For that size room and budget two eights are going to be horrible. Spend the extra $25 and go with Elemental Designs A2-350 which easily fill that spaces and give you the effect you are looking for.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
How large is the total open space?

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Care to stretch your budget a little? Go with either the eD A2-250 ($325) or the A2-300 ($350). The latter is uses a larger woofer and enclosure. There is a 3-4 week wait time on eD subwoofers though.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Nice room rendering, what did you use??

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by t6902wf /forum/post/15569506

How large is the total open space?

The open space off to the side of the HT area is kind of shaped like an "L", I'd say roughly 12'x16'.

Not sure if it makes a difference sound-wise, but I'm considering putting a curtain track so I can close off the HT area.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam McFarland /forum/post/15569650

Nice room rendering, what did you use??

Google Sketchup. It's free and pretty easy to pick up the basics.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triaxtremec /forum/post/15566173

For that size room and budget two eights are going to be horrible. Spend the extra $25 and go with Elemental Designs A2-350 which easily fill that spaces and give you the effect you are looking for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blued888 /forum/post/15569641

Care to stretch your budget a little? Go with either the eD A2-250 ($325) or the A2-300 ($350). The latter is uses a larger woofer and enclosure. There is a 3-4 week wait time on eD subwoofers though.

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, I'm looking to go the other way on my budget
You see, the total budget for equipment (projector, screen, AV receiver, blu-ray player, subwoofer, etc) is only $4000.

What do you guys think about the PA-120? Seems to be pretty popular here. Does it have enough oomph for my purposes?

·
Registered
1,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilsiu /forum/post/15569888

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, I'm looking to go the other way on my budget
You see, the total budget for equipment (projector, screen, AV receiver, blu-ray player, subwoofer, etc) is only $4000.

What do you guys think about the PA-120? Seems to be pretty popular here. Does it have enough oomph for my purposes?

The PA-120 does seem quite popular along with the BIC H-100. Just not sure if it would give you the oomph you require.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts