AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone point me in the right direction to some sort of software or anything that will aid me in my quest to find the best positions for my subs? I have a Paradigm Reference Servo 15v2 and a Signature Servo 15, both have identical power. I have an Anthem Statement D2v with ARC calibrating them but I have moved my room around and am having difficuly finding the best locations. My room in 25'X25', thanks. John

PS: I need as much punchy, tight bass as I can get for loud, very loud music, every thing sounds fine with movies and such.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Try placing one of them in your seating position and then crawling around the room listening for where the bass sounds the best i.e.tightest, punchy not boomy. Then put the subs in that spot, if possible stacked will give you more output.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
try this it worked for me

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great, quick responses. Thanks guys

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by osofast240sx /forum/post/18152311

try this it worked for me

Any explanation as to why one is good and one is not?

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is my set up now but it will be changed later when my Theatre Room is built. I would like to find the best bass and work my room around it. With a quick look can anyone suggest good positions for the subs before I experiment other options as I think they are cancelling each other out right now? Thanks. John

Subs.PDF 20.65234375k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidmaven /forum/post/18152213

Try placing one of them in your seating position and then crawling around the room listening for where the bass sounds the best i.e.tightest, punchy not boomy. Then put the subs in that spot, if possible stacked will give you more output.

I can try them stacked, can you suggest a place from the previous quote? Thanks

·
Registered
1,838 Posts

·
Registered
2,432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by studlygoorite /forum/post/18152886

This is my set up now but it will be changed later when my Theatre Room is built. I would like to find the best bass and work my room around it. With a quick look can anyone suggest good positions for the subs before I experiment other options as I think they are cancelling each other out right now? Thanks. John

Per your diagram I would suggest to try one where you have the sub on the left wall and the other one behind sofa 2 firing towards the main seat. This is what I would try IMO. The sub nearfield by the couch will give you that extra mid bass punch you are looking for.

·
Premium Member
14,851 Posts
No one on this forum can tell you were the best place in your room will be to place your subs, (at least not with any degree of precision or certainty.) Your room, your listening position, your furniture, whether doors are open or closed, many, many things will impact the sound of your subs in your room. The best we can do is tell you try as many sub placements and listening positions as are practical. Listen and *measure* the response and keep the position(s) that sound/measure the best.

Any other suggestions are just guesses. Period.

Craig

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by studlygoorite /forum/post/18152892

I can try them stacked, can you suggest a place from the previous quote? Thanks

As Craig John said we can't tell you where to place them. The best thing to do if you don't want to deal with REW and measuring your frequency response right now is the crawl test. This is a proven way of finding the best spot with minimal effort (except for the crawling around on the floor bit
).

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek /forum/post/18153172

Per your diagram I would suggest to try one where you have the sub on the left wall and the other one behind sofa 2 firing towards the main seat. This is what I would try IMO. The sub nearfield by the couch will give you that extra mid bass punch you are looking for.

That was my next try but I have to get a wire long enough, thanks HTG.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john /forum/post/18153552

No one on this forum can tell you were the best place in your room will be to place your subs, (at least not with any degree of precision or certainty.) Your room, your listening position, your furniture, whether doors are open or closed, many, many things will impact the sound of your subs in your room. The best we can do is tell you try as many sub placements and listening positions as are practical. Listen and *measure* the response and keep the position(s) that sound/measure the best.

Any other suggestions are just guesses. Period.

Craig

I figured as much, thought maybe there would be some mathematical measurement or something that might help. Thanks

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidmaven /forum/post/18153648

As Craig John said we can't tell you where to place them. The best thing to do if you don't want to deal with REW and measuring your frequency response right now is the crawl test. This is a proven way of finding the best spot with minimal effort (except for the crawling around on the floor bit
).

So put one sub where I sit and crawl around to find the best bass, I can do that too. Thanks

·
Registered
2,432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by studlygoorite /forum/post/18153687

That was my next try but I have to get a wire long enough, thanks HTG.

Again that would be a starting point IMO.

However Craig John is, of couse, always level headed, with good advice, and only you can find the right spots by testing and trying all available spots. I spent 4 weekends doing that with my 4 subs before I thought I was close. Then 6 months later I did some more tweaking. That is why this hobby can be so much fun.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by studlygoorite /forum/post/18153740

So put one sub where I sit and crawl around to find the best bass, I can do that too. Thanks

I know it sounds silly but it really works.

·
Premium Member
14,851 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by studlygoorite /forum/post/18153740

Interestingly, bass is reciprocal. IOW, if you place the sub in your listening position, then move around the room and find a location where the bass sounds good, and/or measures fairly flat, you can then reverse the listening position and the sub placement, and you should have the same result. That's why the "crawl method" works.

Have fun crawling around!

Craig

·
Registered
8,103 Posts

Quote:

One of the pluses of having dual subs is that, if placed properly in the room, you can smooth out frequency response over a larger area. Stacking them in a single location gives you more output, but you still get the same bumpy frequency response from that location, whatever the response may be, only with more headroom.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.