AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys kinda stuck here. Samsund 52" lcd,Yammy 663, Energy towers c-5, b&w lcr 60, energy rc-6 inwalls for my rears, and a energy s10.3 sub. I am thinking of purchasing another sub to make it a dual sub set up. I just moved to my new home which is not ideally made for a HT. It has vaulted ceilings and wide open dining room w/ living room. I know I am not going to get the most out of my system. Well long story short I dont feel the bass I am getting is anywhere near enough for my preference. My question is should I invest in another sub the same as my current one? Should I sell my current sub and just purchase a bigger one i.e. velo DLS-4000R? I use my setup 60% HT and 40% music. I LOVE to listen to it in very high volumes. Does it matter if I mix match subs in this case i.e. a 10" and a 12", 2 different name brand 10" subs? HT setup now? If I purchase a new sub I want to stay under the 400 range.

Thanks in advance

Any advice and or comments welcomed

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Lot's of tradeoffs to consider. At $400, you won't find low and loud mixed with musical and clean...you'll have to seperate the two and decide which matters most. The Energy sub does fairly well given it's size down to 20hz, and that's enough for some people. SQ wise, energy has almost always produced a fine product will good value vs performance. I'd get another Energy 10.3 for now, place it in my front soundstage and run both crossed a little higher, allowing my mains to play a bit louder and cleaner, relieving them of some LF content. At some point, i'd add a third sub (especially given the size of your space) sealed with a 15-18" driver that can really plunge the depths down to the low teens Hz for a complete midbass/Sub array which will pressurize the space as well as produce smooth in-room response.

It may seem more sensible to just go for the LF content right from the start, but $400 just ain't gonna do it without sacrificing SQ and asethetics. Hope this helps and remember, it's only my opinion.

·
Registered
187 Posts
definitely worth exploring. search the forums for dual sub threads and experience with same.

i have a similar setup to you and would not go back to a single sub.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts