AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All, read the minidsp guide and watched the videos on gain matching with the minidsp and want to make sure I am reading this right on my first sub I should use the actual gain knob on the sub itself to set roughly 72db at the MLP. Then, move the second sub to the exact location of sub 1 and check the db level. My question is, do I manually adjust the gain on the 2nd sub itself to make any volume changes or use the minidsp to adjust the change?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
All, read the minidsp guide and watched the videos on gain matching with the minidsp and want to make sure I am reading this right on my first sub I should use the actual gain knob on the sub itself to set roughly 72db at the MLP. Then, move the second sub to the exact location of sub 1 and check the db level. My question is, do I manually adjust the gain on the 2nd sub itself to make any volume changes or use the minidsp to adjust the change?
Using the sub gain knob or adjusting it from the Minidsp is the same. just make sure you use one of them.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Using the sub gain knob or adjusting it from the Minidsp is the same. just make sure you use one of them.
Thanks, I assumed either would be fine but wanted to double check.

·
Registered
932 Posts
When gain matching you want to have the mic close to the sub. I think I did 6-8” in front of my fv18 cones. I used the actual gain on the sub.

I don’t recall but I think I set mine to 85-90db simply due to the loss over the distance to your MLP.

Do the same for sub 2.

Some recommend doing this gain matching in the middle of your room so the room has no effects on it. Others have said you can do it in their locations as the mic is so close to the sub. I did mine in the middle of my room but also verified it in their final spots too. Both locations measured the same in my space.

If you measure at the MLP it’s called level matching. I prefer gain matching.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
most recommendations are doing it about 2 inches in front of your cones. adding more distance would introduce the effects of the room on the measured level which isn't something you would want. the whole point of gain-matching is that you want the raw measured spl of your sub without the sound of the room in it.

each meter(3.3ft) away from your sub you would loose 3db of output. so lets say if your sub are 13ft from your MLP they should each measure around 84-85db, so the total combined response is around 75db for both at your MLP (each would be around 72-73db at your MLP). of course this is just an example and a few tries should be done till you get it right.

This is a very useful 14m video it will answer most of your concerns , also talks about measuring at the sub's cone or moving each sub to the same position.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Also, I recommend using the HDMI connection method:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts