AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to upgrade my old Klipsch RW12 Sub With either Dual SVS PB12-Plus or a Single JL Audio Fathom F113... Looking for opinions ....

been doing alot of upgrades lately and this is one of the last things on list...

Thanks

·
Registered
8,500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goingpoor /forum/post/18237052

Looking to upgrade my old Klipsch RW12 Sub With either Dual SVS PB12-Plus or a Single JL Audio Fathom F113... Looking for opinions ....

been doing alot of upgrades lately and this is one of the last things on list...

Thanks

One PB-13 Ultra or two PB-12 Plus.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...mpilation.html

Compare the F113 and the PB-13 Ultra in 15 Hz tune.

·
Registered
848 Posts
The F113 is a smaller cabinet sealed sub where the SVS PB Ultra and Submersive are big ass ported ones.

If you have the room, and don't care so much about looks, the Ultra or Submersive are the way to go.

I personally went with a F113 because I needed a smaller physical cabinet size. Pretty happy with the choice so far....

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
you never mentioned what size room you have here... is it open to other area's...?

L x W x H = Cubic Feet

Also other related equipment would be helpful...

·
Premium Member
14,197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv /forum/post/18237705

you never mentioned what size room you have here... is it open to other area's...?

L x W x H = Cubic Feet

Also other related equipment would be helpful...

Good questions. In addition, how loud do you like to playback? How deep do you want the sub(s) to go? Is your primary use for HT or for music?

Craig

·
Registered
10,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookie b /forum/post/18237676

The F113 is a smaller cabinet sealed sub where the SVS PB Ultra and Submersive are big ass ported ones.

If you have the room, and don't care so much about looks, the Ultra or Submersive are the way to go.

I personally went with a F113 because I needed a smaller physical cabinet size. Pretty happy with the choice so far....

The Submersive is sealed.
granted it's not "small".

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all for the replies... My kitchen , Dinning room , and living room are basicly all in one with open floor plan... my kitchen and dinning room have 8.5 ft ceilings.. My Living room has 18ft ceilings... My HT/Livingroom area is 15' X 15' . I have 5 windows and a entry door in the 15' X 15' area.. so space is a issue.. I will be using it mostly for movies and maybe iPhone use...

My equipment consist of:

Pioneer elite SC25 AVR

Pioneer elite BDP-09FD Blu-ray

Toshiba HD-A20 HD-DVD

PS3 60GB

Xbox 360

Wii

comcast HD-DVR

Vudu XL

Speakers:

Jm Labs Focal 826S Floorstanding L/R

Jm Labs Focal CC814V Center

Jm Labs Focal SR800 Surounds

thanks all for the help

·
Registered
507 Posts
One PB12 Plus will have much more output down low than a F113, two of them will be very impressive.

·
Registered
8,500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.REED /forum/post/18240322

One PB12 Plus will have much more output down low than a F113, two of them will be very impressive.

Ilkka's measurement of the F113 at 20 Hz yielded 101.3 db. This figure is 2 meter ground plane (outdoors).

The PB-12 Plus was tested by Sound&Vision's Brent Butterworth. In his test his measurements were done indoors in his listening rooms "sweet spot". In those conditions, the PB-12 Plus delivered 114.8 db at 20 Hz. Very strong output indeed.

How many dbs do you think you would have to add to the F113 to be consistent with the measured output of the PB-12 Plus given room gain?

I'm not saying the F113 would equal the PB-12 Plus at 20 Hz since the PB-12 Plus has its maximum output at 20 Hz while the F113 has its maximum output at 63 Hz, but with room gain at 20 Hz being substantial, the difference may not be all that great when both subs are measured the same way.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Personally, I'm a big fan of dual subwoofers to help even out your frequency response.

I had a single Fathom F113, but replaced them with dual MFW-15s which are still working (knock on wood).

·
Registered
507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/18242375

Ilkka's measurement of the F113 at 20 Hz yielded 101.3 db. This figure is 2 meter ground plane (outdoors).

The PB-12 Plus was tested by Sound&Vision's Brent Butterworth. In his test his measurements were done indoors in his listening rooms "sweet spot". In those conditions, the PB-12 Plus delivered 114.8 db at 20 Hz. Very strong output indeed.

How many dbs do you think you would have to add to the F113 to be consistent with the measured output of the PB-12 Plus given room gain?

I'm not saying the F113 would equal the PB-12 Plus at 20 Hz since the PB-12 Plus has its maximum output at 20 Hz while the F113 has its maximum output at 63 Hz, but with room gain at 20 Hz being substantial, the difference may not be all that great when both subs are measured the same way.

Measured the same way as the JL, the SVS would probably deliver about 105db a 20hz I would say.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts