AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have 2 M&K MX5000THX mkII subs stacked in the corner of my very open 11.5x19x8 room. I am happy with the bass the M&K's produce but am always looking to improve my system. Would changing to a dual SVS ultra system with sansom 1000 amp and rane eq give me a noticeable improvement?

Thanks for your input.

associated equipment

Meridian 861

Meridian 800

DSP 5500 mains

DSP 5500 center

DSP 33 sides

DSP 5500 rears

·
Registered
845 Posts
If the room is "very open" I take it to mean that it opens to the rest of the house. In that case you would probably get more output in the 20-30 Hz range with the dual SVS. I am no expert and don't really know if it would be significant(which is subjective anyway). SVS has a pretty generous return policy so you can audition them for 2-3 weeks and decide.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
$50k+ in basic audio equipment and you only want to put $3k in subs?

This is the opposite of most people in the forums.

Maybe you should set the 861 to have LFE sub in DD/DTS source and a mono or stereo sub in music related sources. This way, you could throw all the LFE subs in whatever corner you want and place the music sub in the some location optimal for music.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Iwang,

what sub(s) would you recommend for the system I have? I don't mind spending the money if it will improve what I already have which is actually about $6k in subs.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Maybe my situation could help a little, although it's not quite the same as yours. Let me explain.

I was running dual M&K MX-150THX subs in my Lexicon based 7.1 system, and recently switched to a pair of SVS 20/39 CS+ subs - powered with the Samson 1000 amp. The difference was dramatic! Much lower and controlled bass - both with music and movies. In my mind - and ears! - a great step up.

Now I know that the MX-5000 MXII subs are a couple steps up from the MX-150's, but so are the SVS Ultra's from the CS+ series.

I say give the Ultras a shot. You have 45 days to demo them in your system (that's what kind of sold me), so you really have nothing to lose, except for some UPS charges if you decide to return them. On the other hand, I would be pretty happy with dual MX-5000's too!

Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.