AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to have more than one hdtv card in a HTPC to enable recording of different broadcasts at the same time? Has anyone attempted it with identical cards or is it only possible using different manufacturers?

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
I have seen where cards are in seperate machines, but not more than one in a single machine. Even if it were possible, I doubt there would be enough system resources to do it. HD capture is 9GB/hour content. While most systems will run 30% or less during HD capture, you would also have to contend with PCI bus contention issues getting to the File system. Also, none of the cards that I know of have local cache systems, so stream drops would probably result.

·
Registered
181 Posts
On pretty much any newer PC, running record/playback of 2 or 3 20Mbit/second streams is absolutely no problem. However, none of the drivers for any of the capture cards have been designed (AFAIK) to handle multiple cards, and there is no interface software. Next year, I guess.

·
Registered
777 Posts
There has been a couple of hints that the next version of HiPix software from the AVS development team may have multi-card support. They have made no formal announcements though.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm not doing HDTV at this time, but I do have three TV Tuner cards on my system. I use my Creative Video Blaster Digital VCR card as the PVR -- great for recording in standby background mode. I use my ATI TV Wonder PCI for live TV and for watching movies from my VCR (composite connection) and my DVD player (s-video connection). And I use my WinTV-GO card as a PIP when watching the ATI in full screen -- I also use the ATI as the PIP when I'm watching using the Creative VB DVCR in full screen. I think the Creative VB DVCR card has something in its BT.INI file for specifying if you have two of those cards installed, but I haven't tried recording at the same time with two of the same card.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.