AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I was wondering something. Since I would need 2 cable boxes to use the dual tuner feature of mce 2005, if they are the same box sitting next to eachother. How can I change the channel on one without changing the channel on the other?

I mean they use the same remote, same codes etc...

I hadn't thought of this. I dont have a second tuner yet.

It would be nice to watch one channel while recording another. It's one of those things you don't want until you need it.

So any ideas?

thanks.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
The IR blaster for a dual tuner MCE remote has two IR blasters you mount one on one box and one on the other and MCE does all the channel control for you. You don't use the remotes that come with your STB.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
understood however, since they are the same cable box wouldn't they use the same code? Hence even a universal remote like the mce wouldn't it change both boxes at the same time?

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
No the IR blaster is a very small item and you place it directly in front of the IR sensor on the STB so only one box can receive its signal. Thats why you use two of them one for each box.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay Im really confused now.

I have a mce pc. I have the irblaster & remote. It came with 2 ir sensors.

However I remember having to input a code for the ir blaster to work, like a

Select Remote control code

Is there a button on the remote to switch between cable boxes? Lets say i want to switch the channel on cable box B but not A etc....?

Thanks..

I havent looked at my remote in a while, plus im still waiting on a second box.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
MCE does all the switcheing for you. you do not control it. If you are watching TV or recording something and ask it to someong on another channel it will automatically do what you ask using the other channel. If it is also busy it will ask you if you want to change channels.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow that's awesome. Thanks for the answers you've been a huge help. Yeah thinking about it now, who cares what cable boxes channel gets changed as long as it records from one and you get to watch the other.

Don't even tell me it can record from two at the same time? While watching OTA HD with an all in wonder hd tuner. That would make it super sweet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.