AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I am new to this forum and home theater in general. I am currently running Infinity beta 50's for my front channel, beta 20 bookshelf speakers for my sides, and beta es250's for my rear off of an onkyo 876.

I am currently in a loft apt with about 9750 sq. feet (all open), but i will be moving in the next 3 mos. to a house, and am looking at a room with about 1800 -2000 sq. ft.

I will be using about 1/3 gaming 1/3 home audio and 1/3 home theater.

I currently have an infinity ps 212, so anything will be a step up as far as a subwoofer goes.

I am looking at the hsu uls-15 (with one more to be added at a later date) vs a svs pb or pc 13 ultra. I currently listen about 15 db below reference. I want a sub that will let me enjoy tight music, but go down to the 10-15 hz range with some volume to let me enjoy home theater, you know?

I was also wondering if someone could point me to craigsub's rankings. I can only find threads about 2 years old by him.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I Can't speak for the PB13 Ultra because I have never heard it.

I am running Dual drive in a 1800 cubic foot room and I am wanting for nothing. It goes low and loud, very impressive for HT. I set up the xbox for my boys once and a while and I am surprised how much sound and bass there is in many games. For music I find the HSU's blend well and are very musical.

Set level with the mains I get 114db peaks in WOW pods emerge/heat ray and Master and commander first canon battle.

Bottom line you can't go wrong with either. Having duals wirth wireless has some advantages the PB13 has some advantages.

I think the Craigsub list is not going to be added to. If I was going to guess I think the Dual drive would be in the top 25% of the list at least. I also believe anywhere in that area and almost anyone would be more then satisfied.

Good luck

·
Registered
559 Posts
the compact design of the uls15 allows for placement in difficult places. for me, placement right in the front has made tremendous improvement in the soundstage.

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
Keep in mind that the output of 1 ULS will likely not equal the same output of a single Ultra13, more like 2 ULS's will compare, but now were talking about a whole different price range. 2 ULS's purchased at different time will cost at least $2600.00 compared to a single Ultra13 at $1500 or so.....

I really like the sound of sealed subs, but a properly designed ported system will also be fantastic.

You listed your rooms as square ft, but we judge subs in cubic ft, unless that is what you were implying... HxWxD.... In that smaller room if its 1800 cu ft a single 15 will do well, 2 will be awesome. I have a single F112 in a room that size and its spectacular, when I added my DIY 15" sub it was blow your mind ridiculous.

A single ultra13 in that same small room would also be ridiculous, for a much better price IMO.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv /forum/post/15456571

Keep in mind that the output of 1 ULS will likely not equal the same output of a single Ultra13, more like 2 ULS's will compare, but now were talking about a whole different price range. 2 ULS's purchased at different time will cost at least $2600.00 compared to a single Ultra13 at $1500 or so.....

the ULS-15 DualDrive starts at $2199 plus $120 shipping

the ultra starts at $1599 with free shipping

the ULS-15's get cheaper as you buy more

you can get quads for $3999

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did mean cubic feet in my measurements. I liked the sound of sealed subs in my car audio days. What kind of spl level would I get from a single uls-15 vs. A single pb 13in the smaller room say at 15 20 50 and 80 hz. Oh and dual uls is my max price range.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
For the room you're going to be moving these two either way you go you're going to have PLENTY of sub woofage.

I haven't heard either but reports indicate both are stellar.

One thing worth considering is the HSU's smaller size and wireless ability vs their higher cost.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I had one HSU ULS-15 in a 1800 cubic foot sealed room for a few weeks. I anguished over adding a second sub. You can find posts here were I debated a second subs merits. I ended up adding a second HSU ULS-15. By the way if you add a second ULS before 30 days they extend the Dual Drive discount to you.

I can say for sure that one sub definitely fills the room well and hits the needed SPL for an excellent HT experience. I do not use it much for music, but it does well for music.

Do I need the second sub, probably not. Does it give me headroom, sure I guess so.

I am interested in the upcoming SVS/Audyssey sub EQ. I have read it can handle dual subs and I hope it EQ’s them individually. If the SVS/Audyssey system works as advertised I believe that dual subs will have a distinct advantage over a single if their EQ is part of the system.

To restate my opinion I don’t think you can go wrong with a Single HSU, HSU Dual Drive or the SVS PB13. In my mind HSU Dual drive is “better” then a single PB13. That is purely my opinion.

Good luck and let us know your decision.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by t6902wf /forum/post/15465377

By the way if you add a second ULS before 30 days they extend the Dual Drive discount to you.

that's good to know for people who want to try out 1 ULS in their room first

that's a very good policy

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
1 ULS-15 is no where near enough for my 3200^3ft room. I will wither ned 1 or mybe even 2 more of them to make me happy...

·
Registered
15,020 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrunr /forum/post/15466198

1 ULS-15 is no where near enough for my 3200^3ft room. I will wither ned 1 or mybe even 2 more of them to make me happy...

Do you have pictures of your room and setup?

I was able to demo a single ULS-15 in my 2300^3ft and it was plenty.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrunr /forum/post/15466198

Isn't the second ULS on the way (back) to you?

I think you are going to find if it is properly setup it will more then meet your needs. If it does not I would look beyond a single PB13 that is not a magic bullet.

Is your setup the one with the seating position right at the midpoint of the room? If so move the couch back 3 feet and check the bass.

·
Registered
8,497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cancerx /forum/post/15453923

Hey guys. I am new to this forum and home theater in general. I am currently running Infinity beta 50's for my front channel, beta 20 bookshelf speakers for my sides, and beta es250's for my rear off of an onkyo 876.

I am currently in a loft apt with about 9750 sq. feet (all open), but i will be moving in the next 3 mos. to a house, and am looking at a room with about 1800 -2000 sq. ft.

I currently have an infinity ps 212, so anything will be a step up as far as a subwoofer goes.

I am looking at the hsu uls-15 (with one more to be added at a later date) vs a svs pb or pc 13 ultra. I currently listen about 15 db below reference. I want a sub that will let me enjoy tight music, but go down to the 10-15 hz range with some volume to let me enjoy home theater, you know?

I was also wondering if someone could point me to craigsub's rankings. I can only find threads about 2 years old by him.

Perhaps $400 doesn't mean much to you, if that's the case you can order one ULS-15 now and when you move to your house you can add the second. The problem is that in your current living space you have a vast area to cover. One ULS-15 may not be able to cover over 9,000 cubic feet.

If I decided I needed 2 ULS-15, I would wait until I was ready to move and save $400 by ordering the Dual Drive.

You have been living with your Infinity ps212 for some time. Why not take the time to think things through? As good as the PB-13 Ultra is, it isn't a true sealed subwoofer. Best results are in 15Hz and 20 Hz modes.

Craig started his own business. Things are taking much longer than he expected. The only new tests are likely to be his own products. There have been numerous delays. No one knows when his monster 18 inch sub will be available for testing.

If you can't resist upgrading your sub, saving ~$100 shipping on the PB-13 Ultra will leave you with money in your pocket and a subwoofer that is probably as close to a fine sealed sub as you are going to get.

There is another way to look at it. With free shipping if you don't find the PB-13 Ultra "tight" enough with music, you are only out return shipping.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by t6902wf /forum/post/15466613

Isn't the second ULS on the way (back) to you?

I think you are going to find if it is properly setup it will more then meet your needs. If it does not I would look beyond a single PB13 that is not a magic bullet.

Is your setup the one with the seating position right at the midpoint of the room? If so move the couch back 3 feet and check the bass.

No, and No.

My seating position is AT the back wall. I have no other choice in that matter.

However, I was "trying" to watch Cleverfield today and I had t turn it off becuase my sub kept flapping from excursion and it sounded really bad. What is the point of having a sub that can play down to 10hz, if you cant actively use that tuning? It has been a dificult path for me. My room is just non compliant to this single ULS-15.

If I get another sub, it will be on the other side of the room. I am not sure how much this is going to help with the excursion issue, but I have to figure something out. If I were to upgrade to a PB13U, I would get two of them as well. With that budget point, I could practically do 3 ULS-15's, but I am not sure how well that would work or where I would put the extra subs....

All I want is nice, loud bass that reaches in to the 10's or single Hz level... is that to much to ask? lol

·
Registered
15,020 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrunr /forum/post/15467721

No, and No.

My seating position is AT the back wall. I have no other choice in that matter.

However, I was "trying" to watch Cleverfield today and I had t turn it off becuase my sub kept flapping from excursion and it sounded really bad. What is the point of having a sub that can play down to 10hz, if you cant actively use that tuning? It has been a dificult path for me. My room is just non compliant to this single ULS-15.

If I get another sub, it will be on the other side of the room. I am not sure how much this is going to help with the excursion issue, but I have to figure something out. If I were to upgrade to a PB13U, I would get two of them as well. With that budget point, I could practically do 3 ULS-15's, but I am not sure how well that would work or where I would put the extra subs....

All I want is nice, loud bass that reaches in to the 10's or single Hz level... is that to much to ask? lol

In another thread you said it was determined that your second ULS-15 had a bad amp. What is going on with that?
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post15416987

What levels are you talking about? Have you taken any measurements?

·
Registered
4,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cancerx /forum/post/15453923

One suggestion here is to consider Seaton's Submersive. It's already got 2-15" in a compact package (5-6 cubes), It's a dual-opposed driver config which eliminates most self noise, I've seen several in-room responses flat to 7Hz, it's powered by a tweaked 1KW Ice DSP plate amp and it's in the $2K price range.

Seaton's a tweak demon, but the Submersive has already gone through that lengthy process, so I'm betting it's as good as it can possibly be. With his apprenticeship under no less than Tom Danley, Seaton's got a unique grasp of the low end of things.

I would certainly add the Submersive into the mix for consideration in your case, FWIW, IMHO.

Bosso

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
When you say your sub is bottoming out and flapping is that due to it not being able to play the low freq (ie sub 20hz). At the volume level you have it set at?

·
Registered
702 Posts
Jrun, would it be possible for you to take some measurements with no eq applied? If you could use something like Room EQ Wizard, that would be very helpful. Without some precise measurements such as your in-room frequency response, it will be very difficult to get a good sense of what is going on. The people here or at Home Theater Shack can assist you in using the software.

Even using just an SPL meter and taking some measurements at the listening position using our test tone CD will be very helpful.

We have a single ULS-15 in our demo room (about 4000 ft^3), and it is impressive.

The sub should not bottom out unless it is being way way overdriven. In fact, it would generally be much more likely that the amp would clip well before the driver runs into it's [very high] linear excursion limits.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts