AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All else equal (and assume the room size is "proper" for both) which pair would be the better option:

Dual SVS PB13 Ultras

or

Dual Epik Dynasty's

I have it narrowed down to these two pairs. Also assume - for this comparisons sake - that cost isn't an issue (knowing, of course, that the dual Dynasty's are cheaper).

Thanks.

·
Registered
135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam /forum/post/16925182

All else equal (and assume the room size is "proper" for both) which pair would be the better option:

Dual SVS PB13 Ultras

or

Dual Epik Dynasty's

I have it narrowed down to these two pairs. Also assume - for this comparisons sake - that cost isn't an issue (knowing, of course, that the dual Dynasty's are cheaper).

Thanks.

I have dual 13s in a 20 by 24 w/9 ft. ceilings and now I only use one because the 2 were just to much. I had some people over to do some blind tests with one vs two not a single person could hear the difference. Thats why I am getting rid of one . You really dont gain anything except some headroom ..e.g. maybe +3dBs.

·
Registered
881 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer612 /forum/post/16925335

I have dual 13s in a 20 by 24 w/9 ft. ceilings and now I only use one because the 2 were just to much. I had some people over to do some blind tests with one vs two not a single person could hear the difference. Thats why I am getting rid of one . You really dont gain anything except some headroom ..e.g. maybe +3dBs.

Once I heard dualies I could never go back to just a single.. If placed correctly dual subs are magical.. Bigger sweet spot etc etc..

·
Registered
2,640 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer612 /forum/post/16925335

Your comments don't make any sense. How can they be "too much" if they don't don't "make any difference"?? I doubt the accuracy of your comments...

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
once properly setup duals can't be beat.

i'm biased towards Epik, so i am going to have to vote for dual Dynasty's.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
If it were me. Dual Dynasties. Gotta love that massive 18" driver.

I don't understand homer612's comment either.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I don't understand the one comment, but duals are by far the way to go if you can...either should do very well. Duals will allow the same spl with less distortion ---->you have them turned down less while obtaining the same spl as you had for one and yes, can increase spl if you really need to...more importantly, spread the low end more evenly thru the entire room.

IMO, duals will be far better then one...whether you are going very high end or low end...GET 2! For me, I bought 1 hsu 3.3 and later bought another...the improvement was noticeable and worht the extra cash.

·
Registered
135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by croseiv /forum/post/16925383

Your comments don't make any sense. How can they be "too much" if they don't don't "make any difference"?? I doubt the accuracy of your comments...

Had 5 people in the room at the same time and I turned off one sub and then adj. the trim on the "ON" sub back to 75dBs and played the first part(THE PART WITH ALL THE BASS) of Dark Knight. Then I turned the sub back on , now with the two subs on I had to lower the trim back to 75dBs. I told all involved what I was going to do but they did not know the order in which I was going to do it in. After which I asked them .."which had the most bass . None of them guessed correctly. Now I all ways heard ..dont worry about the graphs and so on ...how did it sound...and in the case it made no difference. and I must admit maybe the room is to small for 2 ultras but the performance from one is adequate .

·
Premium Member
1,971 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam /forum/post/16925182

Dual SVS PB13 Ultras

or

Dual Epik Dynasty's

Thanks.

I say go for the Dynasty's. FYI, I own dual Ultras and like them very much.

From what I have read so far, the Dynasty's will give you more output (SPL) and more extension (unless you put the Ultras in 10Hz or sealed mode, but that severely neuters their output).

That said, both are very capable subs.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Dual Dynasties. 18"s vs 13.5"s. Bigger box volumes in the Epiks. btw....I'm biased too.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer612 /forum/post/16926123

Had 5 people in the room at the same time and I turned off one sub and then adj. the trim on the "ON" sub back to 75dBs and played the first part(THE PART WITH ALL THE BASS) of Dark Knight. Then I turned the sub back on , now with the two subs on I had to lower the trim back to 75dBs. I told all involved what I was going to do but they did not know the order in which I was going to do it in. After which I asked them .."which had the most bass . None of them guessed correctly. Now I all ways heard ..dont worry about the graphs and so on ...how did it sound...and in the case it made no difference. and I must admit maybe the room is to small for 2 ultras but the performance from one is adequate .

You are an outlier....

·
Registered
20,173 Posts
The question is when you tested the duals vs one how loud did you listen? Was it at a level where the duals would matter? I watch at reference levels and a single would not be enough with any sub, except for that giant Danley sub.

·
Premium Member
3,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater /forum/post/16926702

The question is when you tested the duals vs one how loud did you listen? Was it at a level where the duals would matter? I watch at reference levels and a single would not be enough with any sub, except for that giant Danley sub.

Bingo!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.