AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would a Crown XLS 1500 be enough to power dual UM15s? Found someone selling one used for $120.00. First time trying to build something like this on my own

·
Registered
413 Posts
I'd probably jump on it. Worst case, if the ~500wpc into 4 ohms isn't enough for you, bridge it into one channel and find another since when bridged, you won't be using all of its power and therefore shouldn't get into the limiter. Is this a "Drivecore" series, or the older style?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback. I'm not sure if it's an older model or from the drivecore series. Not sure if this helps determine but here are some pictures

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
You'd better hurry up and buy it before I find out who the seller is.

Reactions: antec121

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lol, it's been listed for over 2 months, I'll probably wait until the weekend. I didn't realize he was located an hour away.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Glad you posted here as you'll get more responses than in the receiver & amp subforum. I'll copy what I posted over there:

What kind of alignment are they going to be in? That is a good price but you'll need a minidsp, as well for EQ. Rated 525 wpc @ 4 ohms means probably around 300-325 wpc real world, which would be considered underpowered, especially when you factor in EQ headroom.

A lot depends on the space and application. If you are modeling them in a program like WinISD, you can enter in watts & distance to give ballpark output to see if it meets your needs.

Just to give you an idea, I'm running my 2 sealed UM's with a Behringer NX3000D, which is rated at 1000 wpc @ 4 ohms, so real world probably around 600 wpc. That is underpowered too, but works for us in a smallish multi-use system. I haven't run into issues with music, but a few movies run harder than normal("Tenet" most notably)pushed it to the red.

Those few occasions are when it would be nice to have some more power on tap.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I should probably keep looking for a more powerful amp. I wanted to go as cheap as possible but I should invest more money for better results. Thanks for the heads-up!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Found someone selling a Crown XLS 2500 for $260. Should I jump on that? I know the 1500 for $120 is a good deal.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
The NU4-6000 is a real steal.

Reactions: antec121

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I actually bought the NU4-6000 instead of the Crown yesterday afternoon. I ordered two Noctua NF-A8 fans from Amazon and just installed them. I love it, I can only hear the fans if I put ear right up to the amp.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I actually bought the NU4-6000 instead of the Crown yesterday afternoon. I ordered two Noctua NF-A8 fans from Amazon and just installed them. I love it, I can only hear the fans if I put ear right up to the amp. View attachment 3108986
it’s incredibly complex , without computers these look impossible to build ha ha machines ? Robots ai ?
My area never has good used anything

1 - 16 of 16 Posts