AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the Army and I am currently stationed in Germany. I am trying to find a good multi channel amp that i can use to power my Aerial Acoustics 7B and CC3B speakers that can be used here and when i get back home to the US in a year. So what is the best amplifier that can be used for both 110v and 220v?

Thanks!

·
Registered
544 Posts
first of all, since more than 30 years we have 230V in Europe ;)

i'm not aware of any "mainstream" amps being switchable or even equipped with a universal power supply (like some "low power" equipment as BD players).

so from my point of view you habe three options:
a) buy a 230V model and use a transformer 110V -> 230V later at home
b) buy a 230V model and sell it when you leave Germany
c) buy a 110V model und use a transformer 230V -> 110V while staying in Germany

honestly? i would prefer the middle choice ;)

and if you are looking for a model with FM tuner please be aware there are different standards in the US and EU!
different frequency steps and even worse different pre-emphasis (50 vs. 75µs).

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I am in the Army and I am currently stationed in Germany. I am trying to find a good multi channel amp that i can use to power my Aerial Acoustics 7B and CC3B speakers that can be used here and when i get back home to the US in a year. So what is the best amplifier that can be used for both 110v and 220v?

Thanks!
first of all, since more than 30 years we have 230V in Europe ;)

i'm not aware of any "mainstream" amps being switchable or even equipped with a universal power supply (like some "low power" equipment as BD players).

so from my point of view you habe three options:
a) buy a 230V model and use a transformer 110V -> 230V later at home
b) buy a 230V model and sell it when you leave Germany
c) buy a 110V model und use a transformer 230V -> 110V while staying in Germany

honestly? i would prefer the middle choice ;)

and if you are looking for a model with FM tuner please be aware there are different standards in the US and EU!
different frequency steps and even worse different pre-emphasis (50 vs. 75µs).

First, in the U.S. we have 120 V and 240 V, 60 Hz, although we all likely know what is meant by 110 V and 220 V.

Jurnr, thanks for your service.

What is likely the best amplifier available, the Benchmark AHB2, will handle 120 V and 240 V without even changing any settings. I use these in bridged-mode (400 W into 8 ohms) to power Revel Salon2's and stereo mode for the other channels. The AHB2 should work well for your 7B's. The AHB2 is built in the U.S.

https://benchmarkmedia.com/products/benchmark-ahb2-power-amplifier

https://www.stereophile.com/content/benchmark-media-systems-ahb2-power-amplifier-measurements

If you are looking for a DAC, the Benchmark DAC3 is also excellent and supports 120/240 V as well.

The Motiva XPA Gen3 series will support 120/240 V as well. The performance of the Emotiva units isn't nearly as good as the Benchmark units, but the price is a lot lower. The XPA Gen3 is assembled in the U.S.

https://emotiva.com/collections/x-series/products/xpa-7-gen3

https://www.stereophile.com/content/emotiva-xpa-gen3-two-channel-power-amplifier-measurements

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
From the Emotiva XPA Gen3 manual:

"The XPA Gen3 can be powered by any receptacle that provides between 100 VAC and 250 VAC
at 50/60 Hz. This receptable accepts a standard removable IEC AC power cable (a high-quality
commercial power cable is included)."

Emotiva receommends a 220V outlet in the US.

I'm running an XPA3 Gen3 off of a US 110V output. I haven't tripped the breaker yet. (It may be a 20A line.)

They list a German distributor, but I don't know how seriously to take that. I doubt that you'd want to pay shipping (and duty?) to ship it to Germany. I presume that Uncle Sam will take care of getting it to the States when your tour ends.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have also found that the Parasound new classic 5250 is a dual voltage design and will work with both US and Euro power. Does anyone have any experience with that amplifier?

Other than that, it seems a lot of the new Class d amps will work as well. D-Sonic and the new ATI 52X and 54X series as well. Just not sure what is the best fit for my Aerials...

·
Registered
12,277 Posts
i have also found that the Parasound new classic 5250 is a dual voltage design and will work with both US and Euro power. Does anyone have any experience with that amplifier?

Other than that, it seems a lot of the new Class d amps will work as well. D-Sonic and the new ATI 52X and 54X series as well. Just not sure what is the best fit for my Aerials...
The Parasound amplifier is a great sounding, reliable amplifier...

Just my $0.02... ;)

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Parasound amplifier is a great sounding, reliable amplifier...

Just my $0.02... ;)

Thank you. Now i need to find one from a reputable dealer. There is one on Anon but the guy has zero feedback and he hasn't returned my emails so.. :(

·
Premium Member
7,299 Posts

I have a D-Sonic amp and love it! I believe you are correct in that it will handle the Euro power, though I'd contact Dennis just to double-verify if you haven't already.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am still looking at suggestions for this.

My number one pick would be the Parasound 5250, but i can't seem to find one anywhere...

Anyone else have any amp ideas? :confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I would ask customer service from both AAFES and NAVEX,

Way back in the day, I was at a very small air station in southern Italy and that is what I did to get audio gear. At that time, they had a catalog with everything available in Europe from AAFES and NAVEX--not sure if they still do it that way but you can ask.

Some amplifiers are multi-voltage capable but you have to pull the cover and move the wires on the transformer. Have one of your radar maintenance or electronics guys do the jumper swap if electricity is not your thing.

Yamaha sells dual voltage AVRs and a lot of professional amplifiers run universal power supplies for world tours also.

The link below is for a Crown XLS 1500 amplifier with both RCA/XLR inputs and a universal power supply. Plug in any form of power cord from Japanese 100V, US 120V or 240V in Germany by swapping cords. Good luck! :)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011X2HTZ...a34c-6b28745683f2&ie=UTF8&qid=1536016319&sr=1

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would ask customer service from both AAFES and NAVEX,

Way back in the day, I was at a very small air station in southern Italy and that is what I did to get audio gear. At that time, they had a catalog with everything available in Europe from AAFES and NAVEX--not sure if they still do it that way but you can ask.

Some amplifiers are multi-voltage capable but you have to pull the cover and move the wires on the transformer. Have one of your radar maintenance or electronics guys do the jumper swap if electricity is not your thing.

Yamaha sells dual voltage AVRs and a lot of professional amplifiers run universal power supplies for world tours also.

The link below is for a Crown XLS 1500 amplifier with both RCA/XLR inputs and a universal power supply. Plug in any form of power cord from Japanese 100V, US 120V or 240V in Germany by swapping cords. Good luck! :)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011X2HTZ...a34c-6b28745683f2&ie=UTF8&qid=1536016319&sr=1

Is there a difference in performance between the Crown XLS AND XLi? :confused: Which would be better for Aerials?

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Is there a difference in performance between the Crown XLS AND XLi? :confused: Which would be better for Aerials?
Several factors come into play, the first is what pre-amp you plan on using with the amplifier. I have experience with the XLS1500 as a friend of mine uses it 3 times a week for professional sound--still going strong after almost 8 years of use. Be aware the Crowns have fans in them but the XLS being a Class D amp, the fan spins very slow so it won't be heard in operation. The XLI seems to be Class A/B with fans so they might be noticeable during quiet passages in music.

The XLS1502 is a very flexible amplifier and it has high pass filters and crossover functions built into the amplifier. It can run XLR balanced inputs used in pro sound or the lower voltage 0.775V used in consumer audio--it has a switch on the back to select the inputs. Not sure what pre-amp you are using but the XLS1502 has the option for RCA unbalanced and XLR balanced connections so works well with both. Plenty of people use the XLS series in their high power home theaters because of silent operation, high power output and they can handle 2 ohm loads standard.

Another option for your tour in Germany is to use the XLS1502 there and after jumping back across the pond, it can easily be reconfigured as a powerful subwoofer amplifier if you feel the need.

For some reason, Crown screwed up the XLS1002 so get the 1502 for better S/N ratio. Sorry, no experience with the XLI series, they do work well with subwoofers is about all I've heard about them. The XLS 1502 is more popular for consumer use due to the silent fans and crossover/high pass filters--good luck! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts