AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I’m sure you all are growing tired of me doing this, but I am down to HOURS of making a purchase for duals and understanding that the original 2k budget was just a goal in which I will not achieve to be completely satisfied. In fact, I originally came into this with one sub in-mind(LOL). So what is it going to be Rythmik or PSA? 

Thanks,

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
8,686 Posts

Both subs will have quite low extension.  They Rythmik does so by running in one port mode properly adjusted for that.  The PSA extends as low, or lower with no adjustment or risk of port noise if driven hard.  I suspect the Rythmik would likely have a few dB of output advantage from perhaps 15-30Hz.  For music, I would say the XS30's would have more output.  To me, those are the main differences, other than cost, size, and warranty.

Reactions: Mini-Wheat

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I would never close a port and would simply set it to a recommended setting and keep it simple. At that point is seems that PSA would be a great choice for simplicity.

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
8,686 Posts

Be sure to factor in your longest room dimension as well though.  The Rythmik will have very strong output down to its port tune somewhat regardless of room size, and the PSA will depend on room gain below 30HZ more than the Rythmik would.  Divide 565 by your longest room dimension to estimate at what frequency room gain will begin to help assist the sealed sub.  For example 565/20 with a 20' room dimension = 28 Hz.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123  /t/1522645/duals-rythmik-fv15hp-or-psa-xs30#post_24485986

Be sure to factor in your longest room dimension as well though.  The Rythmik will have very strong output down to its port tune somewhat regardless of room size, and the PSA will depend on room gain below 30HZ more than the Rythmik would.  Divide 565 by your longest room dimension to estimate at what frequency room gain will begin to help assist the sealed sub.  For example 565/20 with a 20' room dimension = 28 Hz.
That is all great what you are saying, but there is one problem. I don't understand. No disrespect, I am just diving into this game quick with little understanding. My room is maybe 22x12 tops with may a 9 ft ceiling. There are 3 doorways, but is not that open for the most part. This room is medium size at best. So if I can't figure it out, safe bet Rythmik. That is what I am pulling out of this.

·
Registered
8,686 Posts

With a longest room dimension of 22', you will start to get room gain, which boosts the low frequency output of a subwoofer, beginning at around 27Hz.  From this point down, your room gain will help a sealed sub  maintain a flatter FR with less roll off.  Based on this, I still think my previous post holds true.  The Rythmik will likely have higher output under 30-40 HZ, XS30 higher above that point.  This is somewhat supposition as there is not any published data on the XS30, but using PSA's numbers, this would be the case.

Reactions: Mini-Wheat

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Done deal, I just ordered dual FV15HP's. Yes I did bust the budget, but I believe I left nothing to chance and will not have any regrets. Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts