AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Samson 1500 puts out 750wpc rms @ 4 ohms. Is that too much for the SVS Ultra? I want to utilize the max potential of the CS Ultra, but I cant afford the Crown K1 amp. What is the max operating range for each CS ultra?

·
Registered
260 Posts
I've used a Crown CE-2000 (660w @ 4 ohms) and a Rotel RB-1090 (700w @ 4 ohms) with dual Ultras with no problem. I vaguely remember SVS stating that 550w is optimal. As long as you calibrate them properly you won't damage them with the Samson 1500 (but your probably not going to realize any advantage over the Samson 1000). What size room will they be in?

Mitch

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
that's cubic feet not square... :)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Dual Ultras should be fantastic in that size room! Samson 1000 should use 99% of the capabilities of the Ultras. Of course I was thinking like you when I ordered the Crown CE-2000 (which I'm now trying to sell). The fan on this Crown was too annoying and I had to wire it into an adjoining room. Now I'm too lazy to go in the other room to turn it on. It definitely got the job done though :)

Mitch

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wow, didnt think about the fan thing. I bet you're right, I guess the fans would be quite loud on the 1500. Screw that then. Thanks for the advice yall. Would you recommend that I buy the amp from SVS itself, as the package, or buy it separately on ebay or some other site? I figured they give you about 10% off if you buy it as a total package...

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Hi Guys,

The fans on the Samsons are very quiet. I think Samson refers to them as *whisper* fans. If the room is dead silent...out in the country somewhere...you can hear the fans from a 15-18ft distance. But with typical backround noise in the home...even the tv on by itself at a very low level...you really won't notice the fans on the Samson unless you are sitting within a few feet of it. And with a DVD playing thru the surround system....even at low levels...you won't be able to hear the fans at all.

Tom V.

SVS

·
Registered
432 Posts
I had the S1000 powering an Ultra, I now have a S1500 powering a DIY sub. The fans on both were very quiet, I even think Tom's 15-18 ft is an exageration. I can't hear mine unless I'm about 3 ft way, and that's w/no music or tv going.

BTW, I picked up the S1500 for $369 shipped at www.zzounds.com the S2000 was only $429 shipped. These were open box, I don't know if they still have that deal though. I think the S1000 was $329 shipped but I'm not too sure on that one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.