AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I am watching most video through my PC I am noticing lots of problems watching things on my HDTV via my dualview GEforce 8600GT. Before I only watched Netflix this way and while I was bothered that I had to close all other applications to watch a movie without stuttering, I thought it was my internet connection not my computer, now I realize that it is my GPU.

Hulu, Boxee for PC, SageTV all cause my CPU to spike to 85%+ when I move the application and play video to the HDTV via dualview (extend desktop, not cloning). I have XP sp2, 2.2ghz dual core, 2gb ram.

When I run these apps and watch on my primary analog LCD monitor they do much less CPU damage

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Sounds like you are doing work on the monitor while watching video on the TV. If you run in clone mode the problem will go away but you have to run the same resolution on both the TV and monitor. A workaround is to run the TV as primary and the monitor as extended desktop and drag the things you are working on (like say a spreadsheet).

FWIW,the ATI cards always did a much better job of handling dual video than the older NV cards.

BB

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbird999 /forum/post/19523480

Sounds like you are doing work on the monitor while watching video on the TV. If you run in clone mode the problem will go away but you have to run the same resolution on both the TV and monitor. A workaround is to run the TV as primary and the monitor as extended desktop and drag the things you are working on (like say a spreadsheet).

FWIW,the ATI cards always did a much better job of handling dual video than the older NV cards.

BB

yeah clone mode won't work, but fwiw this is when I am doing nothing on the computer, I am dragging the video to the HDTV and settling in on the couch. I leave taskmanager running so I could see why the video was so herky jerky so I could see the CPU spikes.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
It is not using high cpu because you are doing other stuff. It is high because you are rendering video with the cpu. This has to do with the video rendering engine not working on an extended monitor. So when you drag video to the extended monitor the video card does not do any processing and it all has to be done by the cpu. I can't remember all the details (- VMR9 renderer and a bunch of other stuff that only the propeller head crew can understand)..But you should be able to make the HDTV the primary monitor and use NView (or whatever NV calls it) to move your taskbar to the secondary monitor. For starters, try the hdtv as your primary display and I am pretty sure that the CPU usage will drop to ~0

BB

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Pretty sure that it is a Windoze issue. That having been said, you might get some relief by using a different video decoder. But have you tried making the HDTV the primary display?

BB

edit: I remember that you are using sage. Make sure 3D is turned off. http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...splay+high+cpu

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbird999 /forum/post/19524139

Pretty sure that it is a Windoze issue. That having been said, you might get some relief by using a different video decoder. But have you tried making the HDTV the primary display?

BB

edit: I remember that you are using sage. Make sure 3D is turned off. http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...splay+high+cpu

Changing the HDTV to be the primary did solve my issue, thanks so much. Too bad Nview can't be trusted to not open windows or ask me questions on the other display.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts