AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a JVC GVR725 mini-dv camcorder with dv output and I just purchased a Toshiba DV-R610 vcr/dvd recorder combo, mainly for the purpose of transferring my home videos (some on vhs, most still on mini-dv) to dvd. I consider myself pretty tech-savvy, but dvd recording is new to me, so I am having trouble understanding which disc format (dvd-r/-rw vs dvd+r/+rw) and which "mode" (VR vs. Video) to use. Dubbing the footage on mini-dv from the camcorder to the dvd-r via the DV connection for the first time, I used a DVD-RW disc in "video mode" and XP setting. After dubbing, I was able to create a title for the disc, but I have no idea how to, or if I can, create and name chapters within the footage. For example, the cassette had 4 separate "events" recorded on it. After dubbing, I would have liked to have made a separate chapter for each event, accessible via the dvd title menu. However, what happened after finalizing is that all four run consecutively on the DVD, and are not categorized by "chapter" in the title menu; all I hae is the title containing all of the footage. Is what I am wanting to do possible? I did see where it would automatically insert chapters at 5/10/15/or 30 minute increments, but I cannot name the chapters, and besides, I want the chapter breaks to go where the footage/event breaks are. Do I need to use another type of disc, or another mode (ie, VR), or both? While I like the Toshiba, the manual, although thick, is in my opinion poorly organized and I cannot figure out if, and how, I can do what I want to do. To be even more specific:

I have a mini dv of my child's first year; on it is birth, first steps, walking, and first christmas. I want the disc to be called "His First Year." On the disc, I want all of those events, each one its own chapter, which could be accessed directly via the title menu. Can I do this and if so how (and what discs and modes to use)? Believe me I have spent several hours pouring over the manual and searching the web. Thanks in advance for any input!

·
Registered
11,660 Posts
Your easiest bet would be the Philips 3576, check Wajo's sticky for all (and probably more) information that you'd ever want to know about it.

You need a DVDR with a HDD to be able to set your own chapters and in your case you may want to split the one title into separate titles so you'll get separate thumbnails like you want.

Otherwise on your Toshiba you could also get seperate titles but you'd have to stop the DVDR at the exact time you want the titles to end/begin. You also won't be able to create your own chapters with your Toshiba.

Many people curse the newer Toshibas when doing projects like yours because apparently they tend to automatically make titles at places that you might not want, whenever the unit thinks their should be a title break even though you may not want the title break at that point. Search out newer Toshibas on AVS and you'll see what I mean.

BTW don't be tempted by the new JVC combo 100 something. It will act just like your Toshiba.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I can't speak for the Toshiba, but it sounds like you can accomplish what you want on a Panasonic. (I just picked up an EH55 on eBay about two weeks ago for $410, used but in mint condition.) As jjeff pointed out, you want a HDD (Hard disk drive). When the "DV Camcorder Rec" function is used, programs are recorded as a title while at the same time chapters are created at each break in the images and the playlist is created automatically. (Previous sentence was quoted from the manual.)

Chapters are not displayed on the menu, nor can you give them names, but you can delete them, break them up into smaller chapters and delete what you don't want, and you can re-arrange them.

Playlist. This is where I do ALL my editting. You CAN edit the source title, but any changes are unrecoverable, plus it fragments the HDD. The playlist is merely a set of markers pointing to segments (chapters) in a title, and you can add chapters from ANY title on the hdd, and you can make multiple playlists using some of the same or different chapters from the same or different titles. Really flexible and powerful.

Each Playlist becomes a title on the destination dvd, carrying the playlist name as the title name. In your example, I'd simply make up four playlists, Birth (or Origins), First Steps (Learning to Motate), Walking (Dad Trying to Keep Up), First Christmas (Believes in Santa Claus). Omit what's in (); I was just trying to be funny. Go back to your tape!

If you wish, some chapters may be duplicated in some of the playlists.

You can title the disc electronically; I'd suggest including his name and date in the disc title to keep it separate from "Her First Year" and "His First Year 2"

In the playlist, you CAN set a thumbnail, an image that will appear on the menu, but there are some "gotcha's". If you copy to disc at high speed, (about 7 minutes for the disc), your thumbnails and original chapter points will be retained in the copy, and you'll also have about 1/2 or 1 second pause or freeze at each point where you deleted some video. You can get rid of those freezes by copying in real time, but then it inserts its own chapter points at about 5-minute intervals, and you lose the thumbnail, which you can restore after the copy and before finalizing.

This may be more than you wanted to know, but what you asked to do is easily doable on the Panny. I'd be surprised if the Toshiba didn't offer a similar type of copy selection. Don't get hung up on naming "chapters"; just go for the four titles on the one disc. What Panasonic now calls chapters, on an earlier version (E100) were called scenes.

Best wishes,

Richard

·
Registered
3,742 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdmd /forum/post/15508878

I have a JVC GVR725 mini-dv camcorder with dv output and I just purchased a Toshiba DV-R610 vcr/dvd recorder combo, mainly for the purpose of transferring my home videos (some on vhs, most still on mini-dv) to dvd. I consider myself pretty tech-savvy, but dvd recording is new to me, so I am having trouble understanding which disc format (dvd-r/-rw vs dvd+r/+rw) and which "mode" (VR vs. Video) to use.

Dubbing the footage on mini-dv from the camcorder to the dvd-r via the DV connection for the first time, I used a DVD-RW disc in "video mode" and XP setting. After dubbing, I was able to create a title for the disc, but I have no idea how to, or if I can, create and name chapters within the footage. For example, the cassette had 4 separate "events" recorded on it. After dubbing, I would have liked to have made a separate chapter for each event, accessible via the dvd title menu. However, what happened after finalizing is that all four run consecutively on the DVD, and are not categorized by "chapter" in the title menu; all I hae is the title containing all of the footage.

Is what I am wanting to do possible? I did see where it would automatically insert chapters at 5/10/15/or 30 minute increments, but I cannot name the chapters, and besides, I want the chapter breaks to go where the footage/event breaks are. Do I need to use another type of disc, or another mode (ie, VR), or both?

While I like the Toshiba, the manual, although thick, is in my opinion poorly organized and I cannot figure out if, and how, I can do what I want to do. To be even more specific:

I have a mini dv of my child's first year; on it is birth, first steps, walking, and first christmas. I want the disc to be called "His First Year." On the disc, I want all of those events, each one its own chapter, which could be accessed directly via the title menu. Can I do this and if so how (and what discs and modes to use)? Believe me I have spent several hours pouring over the manual and searching the web. Thanks in advance for any input!

As mentioned by the above posters, the Panasonic combo units will detect the index marks at the start of each new recording on a vhs tape and stop recording, then start again to create separate titles on the disc, which can then be named. Normally, there were 2 ways of initiating a dub, and that was one way, with the second being the one you've run into. One long title with only chapter markers, rather than divided into multiple titles.

The tedious method to gain seperate titles-if this Toshiba can't also create divided titles, is to babysit the recording to disc, stopping it at the end of each desired segment, then Record again at the start of your next segment.

Yeah I know...[Doctor Smith]The pain...the pain![/Doctor Smith]

Since you've created a dvd-rw with some recordings on it and have a dvd burner on your pc, you could copy that disc to the pc, and chop them up into separate titles using a dvd authoring software program and burn to a dvd-r.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts