AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I connected my Panasonic DMR EA18 to the Comcast DVR via a HDMI to S video converter and the image is in b&w. The same set up with a Toshiba 430 plays normally. If I play a prerecorded video with the EA18, it is fine. The complete wiring is first a HDMI powered splitter which sends a signal to the TV and to the HDMI converter. (the new Comcast DVR only has an analog RCA video output)

·
Registered
929 Posts
I connected my Panasonic DMR EA18 to the Comcast DVR via a HDMI to S video converter and the image is in b&w. The same set up with a Toshiba 430 plays normally. If I play a prerecorded video with the EA18, it is fine. The complete wiring is first a HDMI powered splitter which sends a signal to the TV and to the HDMI converter. (the new Comcast DVR only has an analog RCA video output)
Not fami9liar with the EA18, but for the EH55 (or maybe it was the EH59), there was something in the SETUP that you had to set for S-video. Might be worth checking into. Does it record OK from the RCA yellow-white-red?

·
Registered
11,660 Posts
I also thought of the classic S-video problem where there is no color, but he did say his Comcast DVR only had "RCA video output" which I took to be the yellow composite video, and that would make sense for a modern Comcast DVR, S-video is dead :(

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Dubbing

I changed the connection back to the RCA plug and the color came back. The resolution with the RCA connection is not as good. I obviously could revert to the Toshiba DVD recorder, but I just prefer the Panasonic. The previous Comcast DVR had an S video output connector. I just don't believe that Comcast wants people to record off their DVR. I don't sell anything, I just sometimes want to keep something for future viewing, especially when we travel.

Edit: I did go through the setup with the Panasonic (on screen) and I saw nothing to fix this. I went through the Comcast tools and there was nothing I could see. I also tried the spare EA18 and same issue)

·
Registered
11,660 Posts
I'm a bit confused, is it only with a S-video cable that you only get B&W or is it with the composite yellow cable as well?
If only with the S-video cable I'd strongly suspect a bad S-video cable, it happens somewhat frequently. If you only get B&W with the yellow composite cable, I don't know what to say.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dubbing

The problem is only with a S video cable. That same cable worked with the Toshiba but not the Panasonic - both Panasonics,
but I have spares so I will check that out

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
Like jjeff said, it's a known failure mode of S-Video cables, maybe mostly with Panasonic devices, but it used to happen to me with my Mitsubishi VCRs as well. The chroma and luma are separate signals on separate lines, so if the chroma line pin gets bent, or the chroma line is broken (or just doesn't make the connection properly) then you get the luma signal, which is b&w, but no color. I can't explain why it happens, but I note that it DOES happen. Your description of the problem sounds suspiciously like a bad S-Video cable.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just find this odd that every S video cable I have does this with the Panasonic but not with the Toshiba 430. I will look to buy a brand new one to try.

·
Registered
11,660 Posts
If it's happening with more than one S-video cable then that sounds like it may not be the cable....I guess it wouldn't hurt to try a new cable(they are generally only ~$5, I've purchased several at Menards for that) or even cheaper online at places like Monoprice(but they charge shipping that make them more than Menards unless you are purchasing multiple items).
I use the S-video input on my international EH-59s all the time and it works fine, not sure if I've ever used the S-video output though.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
I just find this odd that every S video cable I have does this with the Panasonic but not with the Toshiba 430. I will look to buy a brand new one to try.

I have to agree. I have also seen the S-Video connector on the machine go bad (again, one of my Mitsubishi VCRs) so it may be that connector. Does wiggling the cord cause it to come in and out intermittently? There appears to be an S-Video input in both the front and back of the machine. Try plugging the cable into the other input and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I have to agree. I have also seen the S-Video connector on the machine go bad (again, one of my Mitsubishi VCRs) so it may be that connector. Does wiggling the cord cause it to come in and out intermittently? There appears to be an S-Video input in both the front and back of the machine. Try plugging the cable into the other input and see what happens.
Have you tried the other S-video INPUT connections on the unit..? L-1 L2-ETC.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I believe I have tried the front input, but I will check again. The box that converts the HDMI to S video is a Keedox HDMI to Composite & S video converter.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I received an answer from Keedox and they deduced that this converter is not compatible with Panasonic recorders

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The problem is actually HDCP. I got this from another manufacturer/vendor. Apparently the Toshiba can get by this, but the Panasonic cannot. I proved that for myself by using an old decoder that I had laying around.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts