AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
This is the kind of prodding the broadcasters need to get on the ball. However, the shot callers in Congress have made it clear that they won't support a spectrum late fee.

It will be interesting to see how this works out. Dubya really wants that tax cut and he was counting on the auction money to do it.

·
Registered
730 Posts
The article says:

-------------------

update WASHINGTON--President Bush plans to introduce legislation to delay the auction of airwaves needed for next-generation wireless services, according to his new budget.

The proposed 2002 budget released Monday calls for the auctioning of certain spectrum as much as four years later than originally planned. This is spectrum that companies such as Verizon Wireless and Cingular have eyed for 3G, or high-speed, always-on Internet service.

The bands are currently occupied by companies that broadcast analog TV signals, and it's unclear when the airwaves will be freed up for wireless use. The lack of certainty has left wireless carriers wondering how much they should bid if a spectrum auction is held anytime soon.

Bush wants to postpone the auctions of the spectrum containing TV channels 60 to 69 until 2004 and channels 52 to 59 until 2006. Each equals a four-year delay from the date outlined during the Clinton administration, although the 60 to 69 auction already has been postponed several times past its 2000 date and is now scheduled for Sept. 12.

The administration wants more certainty for these auctions as the TV channels operating in the spectrum don't have to leave until 2006 or when 85 percent of the United States has switched from analog television to digital television, whichever comes later.

Bush's proposed delay was met with approval by a key member of the House of Representatives, who will play a role in shaping the final budget.

"The president's decision to postpone certain spectrum auctions makes a lot of sense to me, and I will support his efforts," said House Commerce Committee Chairman Billy Tauzin, R-La.

But Tauzin said he feels differently about a related Bush proposal to impose a fee on broadcasters for the continued use of analog spectrum, a fee that would be lifted once a station converts to digital and gives back the analog slot. Such a fee was also proposed during the Clinton administration but never made it through Congress.

"Penalizing America's broadcasters--who are struggling to make the transition to digital--with punitive spectrum fees is a terrible idea, and I will fight it every inch of the way," Tauzin said.

------------------------------------

"Dubya comes through"? It sounds like he is going to slow down HDTV by stretching out the time the broadcasters can hang onto their analog spectrum. I don't like that one bit.

"America's broadcasters--who are struggling to make the transition to digital"? Struggling? Most of em' aren't even trying. They are sitting on their hands.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hey dont blame this on Florida and those hanging CHADs

Quote:
by dagman

Dubya comes through"? It sounds like he is going to slow down HDTV by stretching out the time the broadcasters can hang onto their analog spectrum. I don't like that one bit.

----------------

"America's broadcasters--who are struggling to make the transition to digital"? Struggling? Most of em' aren't even trying. They are sitting on their hands.

------------------

Graphics

STOP DVI/HDCP AND DFAST boycott JVC

------------------

Graphics

STOP DVI/HDCP AND DFAST boycott JVC

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.