AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ductless mini split air conditioning systems seem to be a topic that drifts in and out of the forums... Many of the posts I turn up in searches are years old.

Anyway, I need one of these for my upstairs, too-hot home theater. So I was wondering whether any of you have installed such a system and have any recommendations (or anti-recommendations). Obviously we HT owners need something which cools both effectively and quietly. And preferably whose indoor unit is matte black. :cool:

·
Registered
820 Posts
I am in the process of finishing my basement and just had to make my decision on which way to go for HVAC. I ended up doing a heat pump and full ducted system b/c I dont like the appearance of the mini-splits out there. That being said, during the research phase my HVAC contractor showed me a mini-split system he had installed to prove how quiet it really was as that was also a concern of mine. The Panasonic system he showed me was impressively quiet. It was installed in the break room at his office and it kept that room ice cold. The only noise I could hear was the air moving out of the unit and that wasn't very loud at all. Unfortunately I don't know that I can help with the color.

·
Premium Member
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, OP here. I did install a Mitsubishi ductless system. Noise is not an issue. It automatically reduces fan speed as temperature approaches the set point. So I just turn it on ~10 minutes in advance. It will blast at high speed for a while, then become virtually inaudible.

Color was a challenge. Most of these units seem to be white. I found one shiny black unit by LG, but my installer preferred Mitsubishi. I had a roll of Duvetape lying around and covered the front of the unit and now it's (mostly) matte black.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts