AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...downloaded this app

Now I've got info over load and am just gonna stick with my reliable tube tv

After lots of research (mostly from cnet) I was set and comfortable with purchasing a panasonic 50" plasma 1080p but now it seems this would be a poor choice for a very bright room (15 foot windows) and standard definition cable.

I was gonna pair it with a ps3 for mostly high def movies and once in a blue moon gaming.

I think my only option now is to wait for a full array led tv with local dimming to come down in price.

Poop

·
Registered
926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTurkish /forum/post/19548590

...downloaded this app

Now I've got info over load and am just gonna stick with my reliable tube tv

After lots of research (mostly from cnet) I was set and comfortable with purchasing a panasonic 50" plasma 1080p for but now it seems this would be a poor choice for a very bright room (15 foot windows) and standard definition cable.

I was gonna pair it with a ps3 for mostly high def movies and once in a blue moon gaming.

I think my only option now is to wait for a full array led tv with local dimming to come down in price.

Poop

do you have a budget in mind and a picture of your room where the TV will be?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Budget is lowest price available but I don't mind spending more if the value is good...thought about getting the panasonic 3d tv cnet and consumer reports rates high when best buy was selling it on sale.

My room has lots of daylight because it has 15-17 ft windows.

We'll be sitting about 7 feet away

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTurkish /forum/post/19548590

After lots of research (mostly from cnet) I was set and comfortable with purchasing a panasonic 50" plasma 1080p but now it seems this would be a poor choice for a very bright room (15 foot windows) and standard definition cable.

That price tells me the TV is the low-endTC-P50U2 which does not have any sort of Anti-Reflective Filter or Ant-Glare Coating at all. This particular model is like a dark mirror and is not suitable for a bright room.

But the higher Panasonic models do have Anti-Reflective Filters and can work pretty good in a bright room. The next-level-up S2 has a pretty decent AR Coating on the outer glass, and the G20/G25 is a big step up with a Kuro-like AR Filter bonded directly to the plasma panel. And the VT25's AR Filter is a little better still.

Quote:

The problem with just about all of the current LED LCD TVs is that they now all seem to have shiny reflective screens and are more reflective than the better Plasmas are.

Quote:
Budget is lowest price available but I don't mind spending more if the value is good...thought about getting the panasonic 3D TV Cnet and consumer reports rates high.....

You don't have to spend the big bucks for the 3D model (VT25) to get a good Anti-Reflective Filter. While the VT25 has the best AR Filter of any current Plasma TV, the AR Filter on the next-level-down G20/G25 series is almost as good as that of the VT25. The G20/G25 series costs a LOT less than the VT25 series.

In a very bright room, i would get the G20/G25 at least. If you can't afford one, then the S2 would be my second choice.

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
Why is SD such a deal breaker? Some sets handle SD better than others and it also depends on the source equipment. My dad watched a lot of Sd stuff on the 42" Panny X1 (720p) and it looked VERY good. Now this was with a Directv HR20 set to output 720p, in auto mode it performed a bit poorer, I think...

·
Registered
318 Posts
If you're mounting a simple tilting mount will address most glare issues with a good AR screen.

As far as SD picture goes... if you have a digital box from your cable co. Then HD is free or ~$2+ a month. With direct the price is higher ~$10

An OTA antenna will give good hd in most areas.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
IMHO SD is a valid concern though for some content so if that is so paramount to you, you may want to get 1) cheap 720p TV 2) external scaler like DVDO which is not cheap 3) expensive higher end TV with good built in scaler.

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTurkish
Thanks Randy, very helpful. Do you know how the s2 or g20/g25 does with standard def?

......cause I don't wanna pay extra for hd cable
Meh, no large flat panel TV does all that great with SD - and i've seen more than a few people say that their Samsung plasma handles SD better than the Panasonics. But the various basic cable SD channels look fair to good on my G10, depending on the quality of the channel and the production quality of the program. The better channels can actually look pretty good, but as the broadcast quality degrades the picture quality on the TV degrades even more. 4:3 SD was never intended to be displayed on a large screen, much less a widescreen. None of it looks horrible, but some channels look better than others and the larger screen size does blow up the inherent flaws in the content. It's further degraded if you use a zoom or stretch mode to fill the screen. But SD looks better on a Plasma than it does on a LCD so that's one good thing.

If you have basic cable straight from the wall (no cable box and no digital cable channels) then they probably include the local broadcast channels in HD and maybe even a few other cable channels. A few of my secondary TVs just get cable straight from the wall (no cable box) and we get all eight local broadcast channels in HD, and the non-primetime 4:3 SD programming looks DVD quality. We also get the Food Channel HD hidden on QAM channel 88.273 here.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Best upscaler came on the Pioneer Elite's and Kuro's. I'm stuck right now trying to find a replacement for my 42" Elite - going bigger, but the budget isn't as high as it was when we bought it. I know I'm going to have to give up some SD pic quality for the size increase.

Check your local craigslist for used Pioneers - but make sure you buy the Elite series or Kuro series.

ps. Anyone know if Panny is using Pioneers high end upscaler on their Plasma's?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTurkish /forum/post/19551561

Cause I don't wanna pay extra for hd cable

Make sure you check with your cable company. The majority of the cable companies out there provide the HD signal for free. If you are already paying for the channels in SD, chances are that you can get the HD feeds free. You will just need there HD box.

·
Registered
926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf4k /forum/post/19578966

Make sure you check with your cable company. The majority of the cable companies out there provide the HD signal for free. If you are already paying for the channels in SD, chances are that you can get the HD feeds free. You will just need there HD box.

But the HD box has a cost associated to it so it's not free. With Comcast I think I'm paying $6.50 per box and then another $9.99 for the digital feed.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters
Meh, no large flat panel TV does all that great with SD - and i've seen more than a few people say that their Samsung plasma handles SD better than the Panasonics. But the various basic cable SD channels look fair to good on my G10, depending on the quality of the channel and the production quality of the program. The better channels can actually look pretty good, but as the broadcast quality degrades the picture quality on the TV degrades even more. 4:3 SD was never intended to be displayed on a large screen, much less a widescreen. None of it looks horrible, but some channels look better than others and the larger screen size does blow up the inherent flaws in the content. It's further degraded if you use a zoom or stretch mode to fill the screen. But SD looks better on a Plasma than it does on a LCD so that's one good thing.

If you have basic cable straight from the wall (no cable box and no digital cable channels) then they probably include the local broadcast channels in HD and maybe even a few other cable channels. A few of my secondary TVs just get cable straight from the wall (no cable box) and we get all eight local broadcast channels in HD, and the non-primetime 4:3 SD programming looks DVD quality. We also get the Food Channel HD hidden on QAM channel 88.273 here.
Lately I've been watching a lot of SD on a 60 inch Kuro plasma from around 9 ft away. Usually DVD and Netflix Watch Instantly movies. The quality is very acceptable. Better than on my new 42 inch Sony Google TV LCD screen. Direct (almost) comparison tells me that the plasma image has more depth, contrast and more life like colors. I have both sets dialed in pretty well. The Kuro probably has better scaling too.

My guess is that the new Pannys ought to be close to the ex Kuros in performance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.