AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dude.. I'm getting screwed by Dell

1K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  steuert 
#1 ·
Ordered a Panasonic 5WD on Friday.. next day shipping.. supposedly in stock. Supposed to ship on the 9th.. then the 10th, now the 11th. Called electrograph their stock levels -74 east coast -6 west coast. I'm scheduled to ship out of the east coast. No ETA.. told to check back frequently.

I tried to call dell to see what the problem was and why there was a discrepancy. They have the WORST service, their telephone service (automated) sucks. I can't get a hold of my rep.. (no voicemail, I dial the extension it hangs up on me). When I tried to call customer service.. they can't help, nor can they cancel the order.

I called sales again.. the guy transfers me to my sales guy and it hangs up on me after waiting 30 minutes.

I'm pissed.. I don 't have to get my plasma tomorrow but their customer service is CRAP.

I'm going to try and cancel and get a plasma from another vendor..

Buyer Beware!!

,mc

See less See more
#3 ·
Many of us have tried to warn newbies about the Dell practices - but they get all enticed by a slightly lower price! YOu pay for it with all the hassles. If you order from the better service-oriented dealers like Lisa at www.plasmaextreme.us, you would get your display in a few days at still a decent price! No folling around with coupons, dimwit CSRs, phony delivery dates! Don't get suckered by Dell, dude!

#7 ·
Dell is a totally screwed-up bureaucracy where nobody knows what's going on. If you have a problem, you will be passed from one rep to another, each of whom contradicts what the previous person told you. Their various automated systems (tracking, etc.) are unbelievably bad, particularly for a computer company.

BUT: they often have the best prices (and by more than "a little.") They accept credit cards without quibbling, and for the first 30 days you can return a defective unit for exchange at their expense, or a non-defective unit for any reason, at your expense. Very few, if any, other online vendors offer these benefits. And if anything goes seriously wrong, sooner or later Dell will usually straighten things out, although it may take many phone calls, letters, etc.

If you have the patience to deal with them, chances are you will eventually end up with what you wanted, at a very good price. But if you tend to be impatient and easily frustrated, it may not be worth the hassle.

#8 ·
Here goes Don again on his Dell bashing :)

I had 0 problems with Dell (my neighbour who bought the 503 also had 0 problems). My unit 503 was ordered on the 29th got it on the 5th.

#10 ·
I ordered from Dell on a Tuesday and it came the next day.

#11 ·
Ordered my 503 from Dell at a GREAT PRICE! Received it in approximately 1 week (California). No Hassles. I think the secret is: DON'T TALK TO A CUSTOMER SERVICE REP.

I did the entire transaction by web site.

The only question I had about the sale was the extended warranty (1 additional year). I had not received any information about it with the unit. I called Dell and found out quickly that they know absolutely NOTHING!!!!

I then called Electrograph and spoke to Colleen and received my extended warranty by fax in about 5 minutes.

If you know what you want and have done your homework, you can get a great deal from Dell. If you need lots of advice and customer service (someone to hold your hand) go elsewhere!

Plasma Extreme is a great place to buy a plasma display, but you probably will pay more. For many people it is worth it.

#12 ·
raybo67:

How did you get the extended warranty through the Dell web site? The only place I have seen those offered is through the government site and not the small biz and home sites. I know you can do it through the Dell CS reps but I prefer to do as you did and do entirely via the net and avoid the hassle.

Also, where can you get the details on the Electrograph extended warranty, as far as the contract specifics? I am bit hesitant to buy the extended warranty without reading the small print.

Thanks.

#13 ·
I understand why many people want to order via the internet and avoid talking to a Dell sales rep. However, often a sales rep will offer a better deal.

I bought a 37" Panasonic plasma from Dell a few months ago. They were on sale for 10% off and I had a stackable coupon for 5% more. For some reason, the web site rejected this coupon. I called a rep and asked about this - she said my coupon had expired, but then offered to give me an additional 10% off!

Also, ordering via a sales rep is not usually that frustrating - follow-up if there are any questions/problems is where the confusion starts, and this is true whether you placed your initial order over the phone or via internet.

IMO you are likely to get the best price by structuring your deal using the web site, then calling a sales rep and seeing if he can beat the price you've come up with. Often he can, up to a maximum discount of close to 20% off their "regular" price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.