AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my subs have arrived. The cabinets are 19.5x19.5x21.25. The front and back pieces are the 1.5” mdf with the sides being .75” (I believe). I have not had a chance to hook them up as of yet. Probably this weekend I will get my sonosub out of the family room and hook these up. I will run one each from a channel from an EP2500. I will be going from my processor to a BDF than the EP. I will gain match them first, then find a good location for one, than the other and eq them together.

As with my mains and center channel I had Wayne make the cabinets for me. Since I cannot cut wood and I wanted quality I went this route. They will also match my L-C-R setup.

I did not get a chance to look at the drivers before they went in the cabinets but Wayne said they were built like tanks. He also said AE has my name on each driver which is cool little touch.

And before to many folks jump in and say this is not pure DIY, I do not necessarily disagree but I figured the DIY crowd would enjoy these all the same.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Added June 19th:

Well I finally found the best locations for the subs after moving them around and taking measurements with REW. With the layout of my room they have to be behind my couch. Funny thing is, I got the best readings when I faced them into my bass traps.

Before placing them there, I sat one in the middle of the room, got it to read 75 db, moved the next into the same spot and adjusted the gain on the other channel of the EP2500 to get the same. After they were located I adjusted the trim in the processor to get 75 with both.

Below are a few graphs from REW. I cannot get the waterfall section to work so I cannot post any. It looks like when I get the correct cable for the BDF I will mainly be doing some cutting.

So far I have only been able to listen to some LP’s and am very happy with the overall sound of this system.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I think you will enjoy these a great deal. I also have a pair of AV15's and they are very nice !

·
Registered
7,841 Posts
I used a cabinet maker to build my sealed subs. No matter how you cut it (excuse the pun) its DIY.

Then I used him to build my LCR WTMW's. Pure DIY . Then he built my modified WT surrounds. Total DIY. The end justifies the means.

Kg

·
Registered
50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by exojam /forum/post/16844327

And before to many folks jump in and say this is not pure DIY, I do not necessarily disagree but I figured the DIY crowd would enjoy these all the same.

Speaking for myself, I LOVE all photos (particularly w/drivers) in this forum as does most of the crowd here....."pure" DIY or not. Keep them coming.....

HM2

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A gentleman name Wayne. He does cabinets as a side hobby. He works allot with Curt on designs they come up with for speakers. He also did the cabinets for my L-C-R set up shown below, while Curt made the crossovers.

His cabinets making skills are top notch plus he is a very good guy.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Wow! That is really a nice setup.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For the sub boxes 300 each. Since I have dealt with him before that was his price. If you compare the fact that PE wants a little over 200 for their biggest sub box and it is only black and not well braced I think it was a good price.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I am not having much luck running any REW sweeps right now. I am trying to use the Aux2 input of my Onkyo PR-SC885P Preamp but I am only show the left and right channels on the display. I tried other formats for that input to see if I could get all the channels and sub but it is not working. I am checking over at the Amp section to see if anyone with this pre amp can let me know what input may work.

·
Registered
26,449 Posts
Nothing against Wayne because he does incredible work but Nik Brewer over at the PE forum makes boxes much much cheaper and he does a great job. Of course sub boxes might cost more...shipping is always expensive too.

He has a good back log of orders these days but I wouldnt go to anyone else at this time...He has made 6 speaker boxes for me now and I will be sending some sub designs his way.

Heck, he routed baffles for me for $40+ shipping......its a still IMO.

·
Registered
26,449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by exojam /forum/post/16848782

Well I am not having much luck running any REW sweeps right now. I am trying to use the Aux2 input of my Onkyo PR-SC885P Preamp but I am only show the left and right channels on the display. I tried other formats for that input to see if I could get all the channels and sub but it is not working. I am checking over at the Amp section to see if anyone with this pre amp can let me know what input may work.

I have it in a box right now....I have been testing the NAD T-175 for the last month and Im about to switch to the 885 and sell the NAD.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I have boxes from Wayne and Nik and I will pay more if needed to get them from Wayne. I did not bother Wayne with the little RB cabinets since Nik had them at such a low price and he was busting them out all ready but for the important pieces I need I will always stick with Wayne

·
Registered
26,449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by exojam /forum/post/16849308

Well I have boxes from Wayne and Nik and I will pay more if needed to get them from Wayne. I did not bother Wayne with the little RB cabinets since Nik had them at such a low price and he was busting them out all ready but for the important pieces I need I will always stick with Wayne

No doubt, I forgot to factor in Wayne's finished costs.

·
Registered
26,449 Posts
I just ordered the AV15X and dual PR18-1600...I going ported first then I will check out the sealed versions.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.