AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok real newbie here, do I need the 18 inch dish or the 18x24? I have to rooms hooked up and need to know within the next 48 hours. Will all the features work with the 18 inch or do I need the 18x24 can i do the 2 recording thing with the 18 inch? 1 record one watch?

thx

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Get the 18x24 since you want dual tuners......

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
will the 18 inch work with what I wnat it to do? and what kind of deal should I swing if I upgrate to a 18x24 they seam to want to charge me an extra 149 bucks ? does this seem fair?

·
Registered
248 Posts
I only have a 18" dish with dual-lnb and I get my locals and everything I need on both tuners on both UTV receivers. (I have a 2X6 multi-switch hooked up as well). If you don't have HD or need it for locals, there isn't any reason to get the 18X24" dish.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Having the 18x24 has absolutely nothing to do with needing 2 tuners. Get the 18 unless you absolutely need the big one.

·
Registered
174 Posts
If you're prone to a lot of heavy rainstorms, the bigger dish might make sense, since it can (in theory) gather more signals ...other than that go with the 18"...

Chas.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Does the bigger dish really make a difference when it comes to rain fade? I live in Florida so from about late April to Late June, I expect to have fade problems!

My signal strength is usually in the mid 90's so I know that there is nothing wrong with my setup.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for all the feed back, and the question was not worded correctly.

the 18 inch dish only has 2 hookups in the back of it. the RCA Ultimate needs 2 feeds to the back for all the features to work. To me, that means both feeds from the dish will need to be hooked up to the RCAUltimate. Thus losing my 2nd room hookup receiver. (unless i purchase a 100 dollar splitter or go with the 150 dollar 18x24 that has 4 hookups) Is there another work around for this without having to go with the more expensive stuff right now.....

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Quote:
unless i purchase a 100 dollar splitter
The correct term is switch or multi-switch. They are much less than $100. PE has a 3x4 starting at $25. I've used the JVI (part #180-455 ) and it works great.

-Robert

·
Registered
408 Posts
Robert is correct......I have a normal 18" dish with 2 UTV receivers and 1 multiswitch. The installer charged me $40 for the multiswitch.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great, thx

Circuit city tried to sell one to me for 100 bucks, What kind of store do I need to go to to get a good price? Radio Shack carry something like this?

any thoughts?

?

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Check Ebay

Search for 2x6 or 2x8......

·
Registered
524 Posts
The switches here are as good as any... sealed and work well. Made in China.. but quality looks good.

http://www.thesatelliteshop.net/

I went to a elliptical dish which requires a different switch ... ( 2 satellites and HDTV) so took the 3 x 4 back mentioned above.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I am a bit confused.

The 24 inch dish is the oval one right? I have the oval dish. Don't you need the oval dish to get both the 101 satellite (Sat A, now called DIRECTV) and the 119 satellite (Sat B)? The 119 satellite is needed for channels like NASA and some others. So if you want to get all the channels you should get the oval dish. Right?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Right, plus if you ever delve into HDTV, you'll want the SAT-C kit which adds a third LNB to the oval dish. That'll pick up the 110 Sat that carries showtime HDTV. the 119 carries HBO HD and HDNet. These dishes can be had for $130 online plus shipping and includes a 4x4 multiswitch (4 outputs) . The SAT-C kits are about $40 shipped.

Also, with respect to rain fade, the 18" round dishes are better because you're only aiming at one satellite group at a time. The oval dishes only add one extra adjustment (tilt) and since they point to two sats, and the overall surface area of the reflector is less than 2x the 18" dish, you get a weaker signal in most parts of the country. This isn't that big of a deal since it seems rain fade occurs less than my old standard cable would go out because some doofus crashed into a nearby telephone pole.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by chain
Circuit city tried to sell one to me for 100 bucks, What kind of store do I need to go to to get a good price? Radio Shack carry something like this?
I got mine from Radio Shack. Works fine. There are unpowered and powered models. Unpowered is fine for most situations and costs less. Don't remember the price. I think it was somewhere around $50 give or take $10.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by stevepvr
The 119 satellite is needed for channels like NASA and some others. So if you want to get all the channels you should get the oval dish.
I'd like to get the NASA channel but wouldn't want to buy an oval dish just for that. Other than the HDTV and Spanish channels, what other channels are on the 119 satellite?

And, while we're on the subject, what would be the point of getting the HDTV channels if you can't record them in high-def on UTV? Wouldn't you have to keep switching between UTV and an HDTV receiver?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by stevepvr
... Don't you need the oval dish to get both the 101 satellite (Sat A, now called DIRECTV) and the 119 satellite (Sat B)? The 119 satellite is needed for channels like NASA and some others. So if you want to get all the channels you should get the oval dish. Right?
Aren't some of the locals on the 119 bird too? So isn't it also dependent on where you live and whether you want locals? I could be perfectly wrong -- but that was what I thought.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
The locals used to be on both 101 and 119 (and NC local at 110). On Dec. 27, D* moved all of their locals to the spot beam at 101. Now the new locals (Hartford, Providence, LV, etc.) will be on 119. Lyngsat is a good resource for finding which channel is on which satellite.

-Robert

·
Registered
94 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by chain
Thank you for all the feed back, and the question was not worded correctly.

the 18 inch dish only has 2 hookups in the back of it. the RCA Ultimate needs 2 feeds to the back for all the features to work. To me, that means both feeds from the dish will need to be hooked up to the RCAUltimate. Thus losing my 2nd room hookup receiver. (unless i purchase a 100 dollar splitter or go with the 150 dollar 18x24 that has 4 hookups) Is there another work around for this without having to go with the more expensive stuff right now.....
In case this hasn't been clarified (it has been indirectly clerified (oxymoron?)) -- you can NOT use the 2nd LNB on the 18x24 receiver to pick up the standard channels -- they point to different locations.

In order to hook up multiple receivers, as you specified, you either need a multiswitch or a second dish.

With a 18x24, you actually NEED a multiswitch to take advantage of the different LNBs (like a 4x2 or a 4x4).

Doug.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.