Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
 http://www.dukane.com/AudioVisual/products/9115.htm

Where did this come from? I did a search of this forum and couldn't find any mention of it.

Looks interesting. LCOS at 1365 x 1024. Equals 1365x 768 at 16:9.

Does anyone know anything about this or am I the only one in the dark?

Boy. I like Dukane's Buy On Line feature on their web site. Take that Sharp!

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Hi Norde,

You know...that really is interesting.

As first I thought "must be a rebadged G150HT", due to the specs (including 600:1 contrast, 1500 lumens, SXGA resolution). Then I saw some magic specs:

Lamp: 2000 hour 220W UHB [sic] Bulb

Weight: 12 pounds

Hmmm...what is this? THIS appears to be the very first high-contrast UHP LCOS!

While we've been waiting for Christie Digital and Hitachi to pull off that feat, Dukane slips right in and grabs the brass ring!

The odd thing is that I had been under the impression that Dukane picks out good projectors and rebadges them. I didn't think that they did their own engineering. If this is true, how did they get that "first to market" feather?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Here's the Dukane Press Release on this projector:

NEW LCOS TECHNOLOGY PROJECTOR ANNOUNCED BY DUKANE

The Dukane ImagePro 9115 data/video projector features new LCOS (Liquid Crystal on Silicon) image forming elements along with the next generation of progressive scan technology. This is combined with a picture resolution of 1024 x 1365 and a contrast of 600 to one, yielding an image that is truly breathtaking.

The ImagePro 9115 is 1500 lumens, weighs 12lbs and has an MSRP of $8995. The ImagePro 9115 will be available for delivery November 1, 2001.

The 0.9" LCOS chips contain mirror backed LCD elements that are located on silicon substrate. The silicon has all the electronics buried in its structure and thereby permits a higher aperture ratio (92%). This provides an image that is free of pixel lines. A second benefit of the LCOS is the improved contrast ratio, which gives the image a vibrant realistic quality. Third, the image resolution is beyond SXGA. This permits the display of everything from complex detailed computer images to the large content of high definition TV (HDTV) pictures.

With a native resolution of 1365 x 1024 the projector can realistically display computer input signals of VGA, SVGA, XGA, SXGA, UXGA (compressed), Mac 13" and Mac16". It can also display video signals that are in the composite, S-video, and component form. For component video it is capable of 480i, 480p, 570i, 720p, and 1080i signal display which are the HDTV formats.

To assure that the video signal displayed is line and artifact free, the ImagePro 9115 has a progressive scan video scaler system, which is far superior to conventional line doublers. This is a Motion Adaptive Progressive Scan, which employs field interlacing to provide twice as many full image lines. Line flicker is reduced and the newly generated lines provide added sharpness. Thus, large screen images are cleaner, sharper, and a pleasure to view.

The video image is also improved by a black level enhancement process and an improved 3/2 pull down system to accurately reproduce the film motion sequences. Finally, there are three gamma correction modes to optimize the projected image tonal color range.

The ImagePro 9115 at 12lbs can be easily moved about or mounted. The 1500 lumen image has both vertical and horizontal electronic keystone correction. Multiple connections are possible with 3 RGB (computer) inputs, 3 video inputs, RS232 control, and mouse control via the IR remote control. This includes a DVI (Digital RGB) input, two analog RGB (computer), Component Video, S-video, Composite video, a RGB monitor output, USB and control ports. The ImagePro 9115 is backed by a Five Year Limited Warranty and Two Year "Peace Of Mind " program which is the finest warranty program in the industry.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Its the Hitachi.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Looks like they raised their list price since that press release. The website now lists the price at $9995. Bummer.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Tom,

Are you sure it's the Hitachi?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Newbie here, got an e-mail today from PeoplePeople announcing the Hitachi CP-SX5500W LCos will ship early November. E-mailed my rep at PP and he confirmed and quoted me a price of less then $7,000. Now if we only knew if it was any good or if it's just another DS1U.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
It IS WSXGA, if WSXGA is "wide SXGA".

"Normal" SXGA is 1280x1024. 1365x1024 would be wide SXGA.

Anyway, it's a lot of tightly packed pixels (i.e. a dense image).

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
I have the spec sheet for this projector if anyone is interested. Please email me (not PM) and I will forward it to you. Looks promising.

Thanks!

PS-Release date is mid-Novemeber.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Thats what i thought as well till i did a search at projector central for the Hitachi CP-SX5500W and it has the same specs as was stated by another poster above and it says that it is 4:3 native (SXGA) 1365/1024...wierd.But then again further searching into more projectors reveals that DILA projectors with 1365/1024 are refered to as 4:3 as well...so it's actually not WSXGA(16:9) it's 4:3.if i'm wrong will someone please correct me?

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Hi Dream state,

Maybe our definitions are different. What is WSXGA? I understand that term to precisely describe the 1365x1024 format.

If the projector was native 16:9, it would have a 1820x1024 format, which is not a standard computer format (and therefore doesn't have one of those "**GA" names). It also wouldn't exist in the budget of a consumer today.

Sony has confused the matter a bit by calling their 1366x768 projector WSXGA, but I suppose that is open to interpretation. It IS WSXGA horizontally, but doesn't even come to XGA vertically. Very Wide XGA, if you ask me (normal XGA is 1024x768). I'd call that one VWXGA :D. But not WSXGA.

In the truest sense of the oft-misquoted resolution, THIS projector is indeed exactly WSXGA. It is not, however, native 16:9. As a WSXGA device, it does have resolution higher than (or about equal to) any native 16:9 available today.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I though Sony called their projectors W*XGA*...

I don't think 1366*1024 has an offical name, it's the 4:3 version of SXGA and it's not a standard VESA resolution (to the best of my knowledge). There's SXGA+ which is 14xx * 1xxx, I believe.

WSXGA would be something like 1820*1024 in my interpretation. Although at that point I would hope they would just bump it to 1920*1080. Mmmmm... 1080p.

Regards,

Kam Fung

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Nothing...it means you can watch 16x9 on the 4x3 panel, and put it where you want on the panel....BS, really...cuz ALL 4x3 projectors are 16x9 capable.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Hmmm...what i really should have said was,nice projector,very tempting but i'll bite when it's 16:9.As well,this projector seems to have the virtues of a DILA in some way's(resolution) but solves the bulb cost problem no?Which brings me to a question:why are the bulbs in all projectors so costly,and others even more so like the ones in dila projectors?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Actually,

Dukane is badged 100% from Hitachi LCoS (Own development) and Hitachi only claimed 500:1 contrast ratio.

Christie's Vivid Red is 50% JVC D-ILA & LCoS Technology Module/ Engine and another 50% Electronics/Lamp is from a third party 'projector manufacturing only or OEM' company.

Standard "*GA" format (Graphics Adapter)

4000 x 3000 is 4:3 = QUXGA (JVC D-ILAs by year end 2003)

2048 x 1536 is 4:3 = QXGA (JVC D-ILAs by year end 2001)

1600 x 1200 is 4:3 = UXGA

1280 x 1024 is 5:4 = SXGA

1024 x 768 is 4:3 = XGA

800 x 600 is 4:3 = SVGA

640 x 480 is 4:3 = VGA

But non standard "*GA" format

1365 x 1024 is 4:3 and reffered as SXGA+ (cause in 4:3 the true values supposed to be 1365 x 1023.75)

1280 x 720 is 16:9 and reffered as WSXGA (W=Wide or Width of SXGA)

And it goes on and on....

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers,

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.