AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will it restart now that it has cooled down? If so, it was most likely the high-temp. sensor doing its thing.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,501 Posts

Jeff,

I went to the paperwork and checked up on the "E" light. Shutting off power, repowering and restarting resulted in the same five second switch off and "E" light. Seems as if it is not responding to overheating but to its computor sensing that one of the fans is not turning. It didn't have time to heat up, let alone overheat.

I spoke with Dukane and the thing is in the mail on the way to them. They were very nice about speeding it along. I don't think the immediate loaner plan would make any sense given a hoped for quick turn around. I am somewhat embarrassed by how lost I felt when it would not turn on. I hate to be so dependant upon toys. Art

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good luck Art. Please post your experience with Dukane service when appropriate. I have an out-of-spec stuck/dead pixel problem with my 9000D, so I will find it interesting reading.

Jeff

·
Registered
318 Posts
Art

I don't know if your problem is the same as mine was but when my G15 was malfunctioning similar to what yours sounds like it turned out to be a bad power board. This was a japan only part and took about 2 months to get in. I was without my G15 for about 3 months and put about 300 hours on a JVC loaner. I would recommend taking the loaner.

Good Luck

Rick

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Art,

I also have a 9015 display device, so am very interested in following the case with your unit until the end (a happy one, of course! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif ).

Even though my machine has worked fine for over a year, it has recently began to act up: upon first turning it on, sometimes the red channel doesn't come on, rendering the image a rather sickly bluish-green cast.

Last time I used it everything worked fine, but prior times I began to wonder if the red channel was altogether dead as it was taking quite a while to "fire up."

I am planning to talk with the Dukane people and see what they have to say about the matter. I will most definitely take the free loaner, no matter how short my unit's stay at their shop might be, should the need to be ship it out to them arises (most likely). Their claims were clearly spelled out in the warranty, so might as well take full advantage of the opportunity (remember too that we paid more for these G-15 clones than have JVC G-15 owners because of the previlege).

Wish you an speedy and happy return to HT'ing! Cheers

-THTS

·
Registered
807 Posts
Hi Frank,

How are things with your HTand especially your low basas system?

Could you have a synch problem intermittently? Seems as though I had that problem more frequently-still rarely occurs-and Mark Foster changed my mods, which corrected it for the most part. The other possibility that I am aware of is bulb degradation/impending failure, which i reviewed with Doug at Dukane when that and other signs occured on my bulb.

Since you are a DILA 1st powerbuy veteran, as I am, and we both opted for the more expensive Dukane product for warranty purposes, I do hope others who have this warranty use it to full advantage. The additional 2 years of full warranty over the JVC product was also a big factor for me and Dukan covering the MArk Foster and Richard MArtin mods/calibrations was a major factor in my purchase, at least. Thanks for your tireless work on getting all that through. Others are now in line bear the fruit of your labours.

thank you very much

Rich

·
Registered
1,501 Posts

Last night I fired up the Dukane 9015 (G15 D-ILA) in preparation for Band of Brothers. I guess I had had an insufficient dose of war-talk that day. The projector rolled over and died with a steadily illuminated "Emergency" light casting its frightening shadow. I examined the carcass and I believe that I have a nonfunctioning exhaust fan. I hope it is at least that simple, anyway.

Anyone ever have a similar problem? Art

[This message has been edited by Art Lloyd (edited 10-01-2001).]

·
Registered
1,501 Posts

Rick,

I need to take a close look at that power cord. It always seemed just a standard, buy one at the hardware store, item. I guess I never took a very good look at it.

I sent my projector to Dukane yesterday afternoon. It will arrive today and if the problem is a fan it will, they say, be back here by friday. Famous last words, huh. If this thing goes on much longer I will request that loaner. It just seemed like a bit of trouble for a short period. I do have a new Lt150 gathering dust. I got it for a vacation house that never seems to get off the ground. I guess I can rig it up somehow and get a HT fix if this thing goes on. I imagine that the sort of problems reported by Frank and a few others are normal for a big-time consumer product but it makes me nervous to hear about them. These things are so complex and I sort of resent being immediately thrown back on the manufacturing people. I hope I can finish this minidrama this week. Thanks for the words. Art

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Hi, Rich!

Man, its been a while, eh?

With my crazy work schedule...tighter security mandates caused by recent events, which have us working much overtime...and such things my allotted HT time has me backlogged quite a bit, but otherwise is fine...with the exception of the 'lil problem am experiencing with the 9015.

Believe it or not, the lamp has around 675 hours of life, which is quite a bit less than its alleged 1000 hours life span, so I had not anticipated any problems until then (but have to put an order for a replacement lamp very soon!).

Don't really know what it might be -whether is the lamp aging rather ungraciously or a problem stemming from the electronics side of things- but sure is nerve wrecking seeing things go haywire right before one's own eyes. Unnerving to say the least.

Bassing is just fine, Rich, but I still yearn to have a MASS-based subbass system like yours to play around with. Perhaps I get one someday. There never is enough air moving capability, you know! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif Cheers...

-THTS

·
Registered
340 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Art Lloyd:

Rick,

I need to take a close look at that power cord. It always seemed just a standard, buy one at the hardware store, item. I guess I never took a very good look at it.
He said power "board", not power "cord".

- Chris

·
Registered
1,501 Posts

Chris,

Thanks. No use my being stupid unless I show it from time to time.

Found out that the problem with my 9015 was the exhaust fan as I had thought. The fellow at Dukane was very pleasant and quick. I volunteered the fity dollar overnight shipping to get the projector installed before the weekend. Dukane was quite good with this little exercise. Art

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Art,

Glad to hear your 9015 is back and in good working order!

I almost had a coronary while ago when in the middle of viewing The Mummy Returns in company of my daughter, my 9015 decided to shot down!

I immediately checked the unit and found two orange lights lit up: one was the "emergency" (it was blinking) and the other "temp." I also noticed that the cooling fans weren't working and that the unit was very warm to the touch.

Following the owners manual instructions, I shot off the power and disconnected it from its AC power source.

I placed a portable fan nearby to aid in hastening cooling.

The air filter was removed for inspection, and replaced it after washing it again (it was done recently). I really don't think this was what caused the failure, though.

Anyway, several minutes later I decided to restart the 9015 to see what would happen; happily it worked (the xenon lamp restriked okay and cooling fans came back on as they should) and continued watching the movie until it ended.

However, the 9015 continue exhibiting (prior to and after the shot down event) what has become almost a ritual every time I watch a movie of late: the red channel goes off and on. Argh!

I am calling Alan and Dukane first thing today...

-THTS

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.