AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my electrical contractor install my can lights before I knew I was going to double sheet rock my ceiling. The are attached flush to the joists as they should be.

Stupid question: now that I am going to install 2 layers of 5/8" sheet rock will the can lights adjust to fit the depth or do I need to some how rig something up to lower them?

Thanks for answering my dumb question and I am not an electrician obviously.

RG

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Big,

No, just going with 2 sheets of 5/8 and gg. Insulation above. Sound isolation is important but not a huge concern. When we watch movies we watch them together as a family so a little sound getting out isn't a HUGE deal.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Some recessed cans have adjustment screws - this Halo brand in the picture has three near the rim of the can. Once you loosen all three screws you can adjust the height to where you want it.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Almquist. I'll have to take a closer look at my cans!

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,431 Posts
Just a rain on your parade comment since it is raining here today. You are putting your drywall firmly connected to the ceiling joists and turning it into swiss cheese with these lights, please refrain from posting negative comments on the Green Glue threads as your expectations need to be set very low for your soundproofing efforts and return on investment.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Big,

Understand. I'm not that kinda guy. Thought about backer boxes for the can lights to help out with the sound isolation.

Like I stated, complete sound proofing is not the biggest priority. Would like to "limit" sound transmission to the main floor but it doesn't need to be dead silent up there either.

RG

·
Registered
1,156 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadbob  /t/1524576/dumb-electrical-question-on-ceiling-can-lights#post_24540810

Would like to "limit" sound transmission to the main floor but it doesn't need to be dead silent up there either.

RG

As Big alluded to swiss cheese, you will not "limit" sound transmission to the main floor with your design. Sound - especially LFE - will easily transfer upstairs with large holes (lights) and your drywall directly attached to the joists via screws. DD/GG (even multiple layers) is not effective when connected directly to the joists, or if you leave big holes in your construction (your lights).

You will be disappointed with your results. Check out the articles at Sound Proofing Company .

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1 - 10 of 10 Posts