AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting a Yamaha YHT-390 HT, and the receiver doesn't process audio over HDMI. My basic idea was to connect my HR-21 DTV receiver and a (to be acquired) Samsung 2550 Bluray player to my Samsung LNT-4061F TV via HDMI, and then run an optical digital audio (the only suitable output the Samsung TV has) connection to the receiver. Seems simplest.

I presume hundreds of people have done this with the HR-21, and it works, because we're only dealing with very basic Dolby 5.1. But the bluray player has more sophisticated possibilities. Will it decode, and output a suitable bitstream to the TV? Will the TV pass that through from the HDMI input to the digital output? Will the receiver be able to do the right thing with it?

Or should I hook up the discrete analog outputs of the 2550 to the analog inputs of the receiver, and use the receiver as a dumb amplifier?

Or does my question demand an unreasonable amount of knowledge about the specific hardware, and the only way to know is to try it?

Finally, is there a book (1st choice) or a website that explains this stuff? I spent an hour wandering around here, including the sticky audio setup thread and some of the audioholics cites, and got nowhere. If one's hardware has a variety of connections available, it seems like there's a boatload of alternative connection schemes that _might_ work. I understand the two I've proposed are not the only alternatives, if there's a better idea.....

Thanks for your patience.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
id try connecting the analog outs of the blu ray and compare to the optical and see how it sound better or if any different. youll get beter bass management out of the avr though if it doesnt process the analoh input.

other than that the setup looks good just use the optical outs of the digital cable box/blu ray and run hdmi to the tv for video.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6Bob /forum/post/15577250

I'm getting a Yamaha YHT-390 HT, and the receiver doesn't process audio over HDMI. My basic idea was to connect my HR-21 DTV receiver and a (to be acquired) Samsung 2550 Bluray player to my Samsung LNT-4061F TV via HDMI, and then run an optical digital audio (the only suitable output the Samsung TV has) connection to the receiver. Seems simplest.

I presume hundreds of people have done this with the HR-21, and it works, because we're only dealing with very basic Dolby 5.1. But the bluray player has more sophisticated possibilities. Will it decode, and output a suitable bitstream to the TV? Will the TV pass that through from the HDMI input to the digital output? Will the receiver be able to do the right thing with it?

Or should I hook up the discrete analog outputs of the 2550 to the analog inputs of the receiver, and use the receiver as a dumb amplifier?

Or does my question demand an unreasonable amount of knowledge about the specific hardware, and the only way to know is to try it?

Finally, is there a book (1st choice) or a website that explains this stuff? I spent an hour wandering around here, including the sticky audio setup thread and some of the audioholics cites, and got nowhere. If one's hardware has a variety of connections available, it seems like there's a boatload of alternative connection schemes that _might_ work. I understand the two I've proposed are not the only alternatives, if there's a better idea.....

Thanks for your patience.

Toslink/Optical cannot carry high def audio (TrueHD, DTS-Master Audio etc) There isn't enough bandwidth on the fiber cable for it. If you connect your blu-ray player via optical, you will only get legacy dolby/DTS output.

If you use analog output from your player, then your player will decode all format (that it's capable of decoding, not sure if 2550 can decode master audio or not) and send it to your receiver via LPCM. Last time I checked (was a while ago), Master Audio was the only format that 2550 could not decode, that may have changed with recent FW.

Bottom line with Blu-ray is: don't use optical if you want high def audio. You have to use HDMI (bitstream or PCM) or Analog out (PCM only).

Think of bitstream as zipped files going to your receiver. PCM is if the player unzipped the file and sends it to your receiver. Either way, you get the exact same (bit for bit identical) audio.

·
Registered
9,082 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6Bob /forum/post/15577250

Most TVs only pass 5.1 audio from their own internal tuners, not from external components. They usually output stereo PCM instead of encoded surround sound. But, some TVs will work they way you want. Your TV manual probably has the answer.

Meanwhile, even if it does pass surround sound, you won't get lossless audio that way. The most recent Samsung firmware update added dts-MA decoding. If you want lossless TrueHD and dts-MA and uncompressed multichannel PCM, you will need to use the player's multichannel analog outputs direct to your receiver.

TVs are not designed to be audio switchers. I suggest you run video to the TV using HDMI and audio to the receiver using analog or optical. A good remote takes care of any switching difficulties.

·
Registered
9,082 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansangb /forum/post/15577573

Bottom line with Blu-ray is: don't use optical if you want high def audio. You have to use HDMI (bitstream or PCM) or Analog out (PCM only).

Analog is not PCM. It's the next step in the process. PCM gets run through digital-analog converters (DACs) to produce analog audio, the real sound that we can hear. That's what gets sent over analog connections, not PCM.

Quote:
Think of bitstream as zipped files going to your receiver. PCM is if the player unzipped the file and sends it to your receiver. Either way, you get the exact same (bit for bit identical) audio.

That statement is true, but not relevant to the OP's situation. It applies when sending PCM over HDMI. The PCM is the same regardless of where it is decoded. But, with analog, the player does bass management and the analog conversion. With digital transmission, the receiver does those tasks. So, there will be differences in the final audio output.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander /forum/post/15577674

Most TVs only pass 5.1 audio from their own internal tuners, not from external components. They usually output stereo PCM instead of encoded surround sound. But, some TVs will work they way you want. Your TV manual probably has the answer.

Meanwhile, even if it does pass surround sound, you won't get lossless audio that way. The most recent Samsung firmware update added dts-MA decoding. If you want lossless TrueHD and dts-MA and uncompressed multichannel PCM, you will need to use the player's multichannel analog outputs direct to your receiver.

TVs are not designed to be audio switchers. I suggest you run video to the TV using HDMI and audio to the receiver using analog or optical. A good remote takes care of any switching difficulties.

Thanks. The TV manual was so untechnical that it was useless for this. Grrr. Switching isn't the problem (Harmony remote), it's the bizarre rats nest of cables that I already have .

Thanks all, this helps. But I was amazed to hear that optical digital systems are limited by bandwidth, and can't handle high def audio. "Toslink/Optical cannot carry high def audio (TrueHD, DTS-Master Audio etc) There isn't enough bandwidth on the fiber cable for it." I presume it's because of the transmitters/receivers?

Any recommendations on educating myself about this stuff? Picking up bits of info on forums from questions about specific systems, answered by some who know their stuff, and others who don't, is not fun.

·
Registered
9,082 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6Bob /forum/post/15577884

Thanks all, this helps. But I was amazed to hear that optical digital systems are limited by bandwidth, and can't handle high def audio. "Toslink/Optical cannot carry high def audio (TrueHD, DTS-Master Audio etc) There isn't enough bandwidth on the fiber cable for it." I presume it's because of the transmitters/receivers?

I think it's actually copy protection, not bandwidth. But, I've never seen anything definitive about it. At any rate, the S/PDIF protocol used for optical and coax is limited to stereo PCM and legacy DD and DTS.

Quote:
Any recommendations on educating myself about this stuff? Picking up bits of info on forums from questions about specific systems, answered by some who know their stuff, and others who don't, is not fun.

I don't know that there's an alternative to reading a lot on forums and sites dedicated to home theater and audio. I didn't know anything when I bought my first HD television and receiver three years ago. Now, I have a pretty good foundation. Most of it is pretty basic.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander /forum/post/15577931

At any rate, the S/PDIF protocol used for optical and coax is limited to stereo PCM and legacy DD and DTS.

Interesting. So to get something like DTS-MA off a Blue ray player, you need either a receiver that accepts HDMI audio, or to use the analog connections?

·
Registered
9,082 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6Bob /forum/post/15579469

Interesting. So to get something like DTS-MA off a Blue ray player, you need either a receiver that accepts HDMI audio, or to use the analog connections?

Correct. With analog, the player has to be able to do the HD decoding.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts