AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out here in MOFN, we are only JUST getting the 1st HDTV station on the air next week (well 2, PBS is active... sorta...). As of yet I DON'T have a HDTV set but am planning for the future. But as for now, what I would LIKE to find is a STB that will..

- receive the OTA HDTV and down convert to standard NTSC (480i??) (so I can get the 16:9 broadcasts properly letterboxed on the existing set)

- receive the OTA HDTV and down convert to standard NTSC (480i??) STRETCHED for the 16:9 signals to feed to the Panny HS2. (after dumping to a DVD-Ram and authoring on the PC, I can flip the aspect ratio bits in the MPEG header from 4:2 to 16:9 and *poof* Anamorphic (ish) 16:9 DVD-R. Yes I HAVE tested this process on a R0 Non-Macrovision 16:9 DVD >> DVD-R as a 'proof of concept' experiment, so I know the sthick works...

Suggestions on a OTA STB that will do this?

(forgive me for not knowing the proper terms, but I'm heading into 'The Undiscovered Country' here)

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
The Samsung SIR-T150 or SIR-T151 OTA HD STB can do that. It can output to composite or S-video with 480i and has aspect ratio controls in the setup format menu.

·
Registered
506 Posts
In addition to the cost effective SIR 150 & 151, I believe most of the new STBs will output at 480i. I purchased the Sony HD200 which supports OTA and D* with DVI HDCP output. Forum members have reported that OTA sensitivity is much improved over the previous generation STBs (may be important if you're far from the stations or have any obstruction.

It sounds like you know the strectching format that you want. You could browse the owners manuals for various HD STBs at http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/learn/Manuals.jsp

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.