AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a Sony KW34HD1 that died in a lightning storm. My extended service warranty would only cover what I paid as it was an open box item ($2000.00)- I weighed my options and settled on the Sony 36XBR450- HDTV ready but as you know no set top box. I decided on it because of my location (sub basement apartment that made it impossible for DirecTV or OTA reception) and Time Warner Cable not getting me an HDTV box despite being on the waiting list for more than a year. And, I did not want to spend any more money!

As luck would have it, 8 days after getting the new "only" HDTV ready TV, TW called and said they had an HDTV cable box for me. Am I set or do I need a separate set top box, ala the SAT-HD100?

Thanks!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Parker
Yep
Yep I need a set top box or yep I am OK with just the HD ready TV?

I got long winded-I guess all I needed to ask was "Do the scientific atlanta boxes do the decoding?"

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
You are set with just the HD cablebox.

TWC usually uses Scientific Atlanta boxes; currently either the SA2000HD or the newer SA3100HD (Houston uses Motorola boxes). Key here is the cable system does not use 8VSB modulation (ATSC standard) preferring instead 256QAM as a rule. Therefore they WILL provide the appropriate box to you and no other STB is needed. Getting the HD box is the hold up in most places. TWC also usually provides a component cable set that looks cheap but many find they work fine. Try it and see. -- Bruce

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thankis so much for the info. I would not consider myself a newbie by any stretch, but I was not sure on this.

Of course, now I have to watch HDTV on a 4:3. :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.