AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the speaker receives a specific frequency, how does it know whether to send it to the tweeter, mid-range. or woofer? Is there a chip inside the speaker?

· Premium Member
5,900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocko1290 /forum/post/0

When the speaker receives a specific frequency, how does it know whether to send it to the tweeter, mid-range. or woofer? Is there a chip inside the speaker?

The crossover is a passive dividing network that filters out specific frequency ranges. It consists of resistors, capacitors, colis and such. In a 3-way speaker, for example, the woofer will be "lowpassed" and all frequencies below a certain frequency go to the woofer. The midrange will be lowpassed and highpassed, with a midrange band of frequencies sent to it. The tweeter will be "highpassed" with frequncies above 2kHz to 3kHz sent to the tweeter.

Pardon the simple and flawed explanation...there's more to it, obviously...

· Registered
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys I know it was a simple question but I've never really looked inside a speaker so I didn't know!

· Registered
732 Posts
rocko, empy your pm's so you can recieve them. i can't reply to your last pm. to answer the Q though, yes i still have the amp and no i don't have the manual, but you should be able to download it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.