AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like the look of cove lighting many of you are installing with crown molding. My question though is how to install.

I assume that you would install crown just as usual but leave a gap to the celing for the light to shine out the top.

Is this correct? If so, what is a good amount of space to leave between crown (rope) and ceiling?

Thanks,

Cory

·
Registered
2,089 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manthatsnice /forum/post/20801778

I really like the look of cove lighting many of you are installing with crown molding. My question though is how to install.

I assume that you would install crown just as usual but leave a gap to the celing for the light to shine out the top.

Is this correct? If so, what is a good amount of space to leave between crown (rope) and ceiling?

Thanks,

Cory

Basically you are right. A lot of folks add a "wedge" of sorts behind the crown for extra nailing surface and stability.

You can go as close or as far away as you want to your ceiling, just keep in mind usually the further you are from the ceiling (or whatever your first reflective surface is) the more diffusion (the softer) your light will look. Especially with the cheap O clear rope light from lowes (what i have) you tend to see the shadows of the individual lights if you are too close to the ceiling...your best bet is to get some crown, get your lights, and have someone hold a piece near the ceiling and move it up and down until you see what you like.

Also if you haven't seen it yet, check out the Rope Light Thread

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
Distance to ceiling is critical. My brother inlaw rope lights are too close, and you can see light/dark from individual bulbs above the mldg instead of a nice glow effect.

He even cut 2' x4' light diffuser panels into 3" wide strips to cover the rope light in attempt to give it more even look.

Did not work, the diffusers are too close to the bulbs to diffuse the pinpoint light sources.

Study up on this before you proceed.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Thanks for the link, Matthew. I'll read that thread.

Anyone have a great setup and can give me an idea on a measurement?

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Mine is about 3" from the inner "wall" in the cove, and about 7" from the ceiling. You'll get a different effect depending on where in the cove you mount the rope (closer to the inside wall, or outside wall, different distances from the ceiling) - I experimented with different locations before settling on this one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.