AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, this definitely feels like a dumb questions, but I need a little help :D

I have a ViewSonic Pro8200 that I've had for about 2.5 years. Back in December the bulb popped. Opened it up and it was clear the bulb was gone, there were glass pieces everywhere etc etc. Order a new replacement bulb and things have been fine for the past 2 months, until last night, when the picture just went out. I turn the projector on and hear the color wheel (dlp projector) spin up, but the lamp doesn't turn on. I took the lamp out and it looks pretty much like it did when I put it in. My first thought was I got a bad lamp from Amazon, but before I order a replacement Im wondering if there's any way of knowing if it actually is the lamp, or something else. I assume the bulb doesn't always blow when it goes out, so beyond the broken glass I'm not sure what (if anything) to look for.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Hey guys, this definitely feels like a dumb questions, but I need a little help :D

I have a ViewSonic Pro8200 that I've had for about 2.5 years. Back in December the bulb popped. Opened it up and it was clear the bulb was gone, there were glass pieces everywhere etc etc. Order a new replacement bulb and things have been fine for the past 2 months, until last night, when the picture just went out. I turn the projector on and hear the color wheel (dlp projector) spin up, but the lamp doesn't turn on. I took the lamp out and it looks pretty much like it did when I put it in. My first thought was I got a bad lamp from Amazon, but before I order a replacement Im wondering if there's any way of knowing if it actually is the lamp, or something else. I assume the bulb doesn't always blow when it goes out, so beyond the broken glass I'm not sure what (if anything) to look for.

Thanks!
Yes the ballast could have failed but if this was a compatible lamp and was not the OEM lamp then it is probably bad. Search the forum for info on replacement lamps and you will see no one recommends the cheap knock off lamps that sell of hundreds less than the original manufactures lamp. These cheapo don't work out of the box, become so dim they are useless or fail completely after only a few hundred hours.

This is Viewsonic Original lamp and has a 6 month warrenty, http://www.dlplampsource.com/viewsonic-rlc-061-projector-lamp-assembly.html

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's funny you mention discount lamps, because that's what I bought ha ha. I paid I think $80 on Amazon. So you think that's the culprit? If the ballast goes out on the lamp I assume there's no way to look at the lamp and see it physically? The place said to mail back the lamp and they'll replace it for free, so for being a cheap crappy lamp at least they're backing up their product. Of course that doesn't mean much if/when I just get a new replacement piece of crap in return :)

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
It's funny you mention discount lamps, because that's what I bought ha ha. I paid I think $80 on Amazon. So you think that's the culprit? If the ballast goes out on the lamp I assume there's no way to look at the lamp and see it physically? The place said to mail back the lamp and they'll replace it for free, so for being a cheap crappy lamp at least they're backing up their product. Of course that doesn't mean much if/when I just get a new replacement piece of crap in return :)
If the new lamp they send works, order the lamp from the above site and see if you can get your $80 back. The ballast is not in the lamp, cheap lamps can damage them or so it is said. If you replacement works, you know your ballast is ok and then you can drop the $280 for a good lamp that will work for 3000 hours. If they won't give you your money back call it a spare and put it on the shelf.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the new lamp they send works, order the lamp from the above site and see if you can get your $80 back. The ballast is not in the lamp, cheap lamps can damage them or so it is said. If you replacement works, you know your ballast is ok and then you can drop the $280 for a good lamp that will work for 3000 hours. If they won't give you your money back call it a spare and put it on the shelf.
So if the new lamp doesn't work, it's most likely the ballast? Any ballpark guestimates on what that would cost to repair? Thinking about long term, I wonder if I would just be better off buying a BenQ 1070 instead of dumping money into a 3 year old projector

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
So if the new lamp doesn't work, it's most likely the ballast? Any ballpark guestimates on what that would cost to repair? Thinking about long term, I wonder if I would just be better off buying a BenQ 1070 instead of dumping money into a 3 year old projector
Well get the new lamp and see what happens. Repair would be more than a new projector probably.. If it was just the lamp then you have to decide if you want to spend $280 for a good lamp or $800 for a new projector that may or may not be any better than what you have. Being you have an $80 knock off it is probably just the lamp.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts