Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Thanks for looking, listen. I bought an older model onkyo radio t-9 i think, off ebay. ANyway, when i look at it ie... go to hook it up to a set of old speakers to hear it, i see the output is RCA. Never seen a set of RCA speaker cable, lol but what do i need, just some rca to speaker wire adapter? rat shack got it? thanks for the help, just needed something for the garage, thought the retro look would be cool.

Thanks,

Brett

·
Registered
55 Posts
The RCA connector outputs would be used to supply a seperate amplifier with music signal input. The amp would then drive your speakers. If you do not have speaker wire outputs (amp built-into Onkyo) your hosed without a seperate amp.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey,

i was afraid that is what i had going. Anyway, since im looking to keep it, any thoughts on a cheap amp, to run some outdoor speakrs? btw, anyone selling some outdoors? thanks again..

Thanks,

Brett

·
Registered
283 Posts
You can run the tuner into an aux input on any receiver. For outdoor speaker use, I would go with an inexpensive stereo (not surround) receiver. Should be able to find one for about US$100.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Of course an inexpensive stereo receiver would have a tuner built in, but it probably won't be as good as your newly acquired Onkyo tuner.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
There's a slight chance the RCAs could be speaker outputs, though it isn't likely. An old table radio, for example, might have those for external speakers, though I'd expect it to have internal speakers too. If this is a stereo component tuner, then they're definitely preamp outputs, as everyone else says. If you think it's the kind of unit that shouldn't need an amp, you could try plugging a speaker in to see if you get anything. Just stick one wire in the middle of the RCA, and hold the other one to the outside. If it's a preamp output, you won't get anything. I wouldn't worry about damaging it trying this.

·
Registered
283 Posts
If there's no volume control on the tuner component then it's not a speaker output. You're right though, some older components did have speaker connections that were terminated with an RCA plug. I haven't seen those in a long time.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi,

Thanks for the input, they are just pre-outs. guess ill have to find a cheap 2 channel amp or something. I hate to go the route of another receiver with inputs, cause like someone else said it would have a tuner also. So i guess im on the look for a cheap 2channel or im selling it and looking for another tuner with built in. Anyone want this one??? i think i paid like 70$ or something? just a thought.

Thanks,

Brett

·
Registered
283 Posts
Don't forget the pre-amp with the amp or you will not likely have the ability to control volume. Other option would be to place a volume control at the speaker location using something like the Niles VCS2D or equivalent.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.