AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really hate to ask this question because you'd think it's just immediately obvious, but at least for me, it's not. In the past I've run the analog cable from the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM to the sound card (or motherboard)'s CD-Audio input. My DVD-ROM has a digital output marked S-PDIF that I would assume I need to connect to my sound card or motherboard to have PC-based DVD players pass DD/DTS out my sound card/motherboard's S-PDIF connector unaltered.

Is this correct? If so, my motherboard, an nForce2-based Biostar M7NCG, does NOT have an S-PDIF input header on it for the connection. Is there some other way I can have the DVD player software pass the digital audio signal to my soundcard and out to my receiver? Am I just screwed?

Like I said, it seems like I shouldn't even have to ask this question...

TIA,

Scott

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
The S/PDIF signal get transferred internally through the IDE cable to the audio out of your mobo or via mobo/PCI slot to the audio card if you have a separate one - no need for a separate cable....

____

Axel

·
Registered
551 Posts
The answer is no. You don't need to connect a SPDIF cable.

Both video and audio data are just encoded as a part of mpeg2 files on DVD. DVD players read such data through IDE, decoded it, and play back it using VGA card and sound card.

·
Registered
405 Posts
With Windows XP/2000 and most probably Me you can also play your music CDs completely Digitally (DAE throuhg IDE), you don't even need the analog connection.... You can enable it in device manager under cdrom/dvdorm properties
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=298008

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.